Remote Control Utility is like a kick in the teeth

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
flyinghitcher

Remote Control Utility is like a kick in the teeth

Post by flyinghitcher »

I'm suprised as a new customer this isn't part of core ?

It's like you just bought software and needing to pay for an immediate upgrade. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this ?
I'm also suprised at Octagon and Sampler II and Random Task not being part of core. but the focus for me really is the remote. The whole issue has split the good will of finding such a stable VST friendly way into modular synthesis with a mental image of a strange guy sticking his finger up and holding out his hand for more money.

hey ho... nothings ever perfect !
CloudsOfSound

Re: Remote Control Utility is like a kick in the teeth

Post by CloudsOfSound »

+1 For that

This should definitely be part of Core.
But, you know, in the end, it's the dough that gets the ball rolling...
Running Voltage Modular on  MacBook Pro 2017 15"
Software Developer / Wannabe Musician
"Computers are like bicycles for our mind"
- Steve Jobs
cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

I'm not really the "pricing/marketing/sales" guy (I design modules), but here's the hopefully diplomatic answer I can give -

It's always super difficult to decide what should and shouldn't be included in a given package, bundle, etc. Having had a large part of the design of modules like the samplers, Octagon, etc., these were pretty ambitous, i.e. hard to do and took a lot of time and brainpower. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect users to cry for us ;) but the reality is that virtual modular synth is a very niche market, so to put it bluntly, we have to sell modules to be able to continue making more modules. Believe me, we don't anyone to feel like they're getting gouged. We aim to make the best virtual modular on the market, and it takes a decent-sized staff to make that a reality.

We really do appreciate your ongoing support!
flyinghitcher

Post by flyinghitcher »

Thx for the reply, and the insight you have. The strategy in this case has failed. I have not and won't be upgrading any further, not out of spite but simply put I could use those modules, but it's too expensive for what it is. Price is subjective and relative to income, and has a big influence on my opinion. I predict VM will be a very small part of my workflow and this is a contributing factor . There's presumably nothing stopping me using a DAW to control and automate things outside of the remote control so it's not adding functionality, just convenience.
nekomatic

Post by nekomatic »

The problem with any product is that whatever effort the creators put into it there will be always somebody whos requirements cannot be fulfilled.
From my point of view this product is great as I was always an entusiast of modular synthesizers but never had the money to spend on the hardware - there is always something of higher priority and my wife's radar is impresively sensitive :)
I must also agree the basic packs of modules will always be missing something - that actually pissed me off on few occasions... But.. This product is for people who love making music and love modular synthesizers - and I'm damn one of them so no obstacle is too big.
It may be easy for me to say since I do have some dev background but I had to spent some time to learn some basics of Java which I holestly despise (I'm a C# person so obviously went for Scala/Kotlin on JVM), and dig through a number of DSP related literature ( like google ;) ) In the meantime the VM price dropped which made me even more motivated.
So now whenever I miss something I just spend couple of evenings and code it for myself.. and I've even put some basic modules to the store - a self promotion here https://store.cherryaudio.com/manufacturers/nekomatic :)
Trust me, it takes lots of experience and effort to get this done, and in the end we all need to be able to put food on the table...

Return to “Voltage Modular”