Saving Presets Within a Module

sdv

Saving Presets Within a Module

Post by sdv »

Looking through the VMD forum I've seen it mentioned a few times but Ive yet to see it fully resolved - how to save a preset, I.e. the knob/slider/etc, configurations, inside a module which will be delivered to customers I would want to do this without having to rely on 'Variations.' Ideally, there would be a text space inside the module and a drop-down to chose a preset.

Has anyone figured this out or is it FR for the Cherry Devs?
Steve W

Re: Saving Presets Within a Module

Post by Steve W »

sdv wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:04 am Looking through the VMD forum I've seen it mentioned a few times but Ive yet to see it fully resolved - how to save a preset, I.e. the knob/slider/etc, configurations, inside a module which will be delivered to customers I would want to do this without having to rely on 'Variations.' Ideally, there would be a text space inside the module and a drop-down to chose a preset.

Has anyone figured this out or is it FR for the Cherry Devs?
Have you looked at how some Waverley Instruments synths have built-in presets?

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midimono

Not sure what's going on under the hood here, but there are 5 banks selectable by a switch plus a 5 x 5 preset selection matrix.
Waverley Instruments

Post by Waverley Instruments »

Hi,

MIDIMONO is maybe not the best example as those presets are hard-coded! :oops:

ANALOGy5, PERCSTATION and MIDIMONOX2, are maybe better examples as both factory and user presets are file-based, selectable from a pop-up menu. Factory presets are bundled as extra resources within the module itself, and user presets are stored in a sub-folder of the VM documents path.

As far as I know, there aren't any helpers or examples in the SDK I could find at the time for this sort of stuff, so all this was done pretty much from scratch, including developing a format for the preset binary files themselves. The rest is pretty standard Java file i/o and object serialising / deserialising. It was quite a bit of work.

Hope this is a nudge in one direction that works - not saying it's the right direction! ;) -Rob @WI
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Waverley Instruments wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm MIDIMONO is maybe not the best example as those presets are hard-coded! :oops:

ANALOGy5, PERCSTATION and MIDIMONOX2, are maybe better examples as both factory and user presets are file-based, selectable from a pop-up menu. Factory presets are bundled as extra resources within the module itself, and user presets are stored in a sub-folder of the VM documents path.
Glad you chimed in, Rob. I had a feeling you would have some useful thoughts on methods for providing presets (knob/slider/etc. configurations) inside a module.
sdv

Post by sdv »

Thanks for those ideas, Rob. My presets would be hard-coded into the module so I would be able to bypass the Java way of file i/o. I'll have to do some more digging but maybe CA will provide a preset manager implementation at some point.

Return to “Module Designer”