Sync multiple Voltage Modular Instrument Tracks in DAW

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
sonic

Sync multiple Voltage Modular Instrument Tracks in DAW

Post by sonic »

I have read the VM manual and am working with it in stand-alone and in my Pro Tools DAW. I also purchased the Generative ebook. I was trying to find this information below if possible.

I have a Pro Tools session with six instrument tracks, each with a VM instrument insert. I s there a way to sync all six tracks to the same DAW tempo, or even better, to each other, like how you can sync a Moog Mother with a DFAM, via CV. Thanks for any help.
huggermugger

Re: Sync multiple Voltage Modular Instrument Tracks in DAW

Post by huggermugger »

You should have no problem synching all the VM instances to ProTools' clock. Here's the setup (I'm using Logic, but I'm pretty certain it'll be the same in PT). I know of no way that you would synch them to each other without a fancy workaround, perhaps using MIDI loopback tool. But I think your primary goal is to run them in time with your PT Session, so...

The DAW clock and transport are available in the TRANSPORT module.
Patch the Play jack to the Play buttons in your VM patch as well as to the Reset inputs of all relevant modules.
Patch the Stop jack to the Stop buttons in all relevant modules.
Patch the SYNC OUT to a Sync Divider, SYNC IN.
Leave the divider at 1/16 and patch the Clock Out to all the clocks in your VM patch.

When you play and stop ProTools, VM devices should now also play, in sync to PT.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 8.21.27 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 8.21.27 PM.png (555.97 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Last edited by huggermugger on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonic

Re: Sync multiple Voltage Modular Instrument Tracks in DAW

Post by sonic »

Wow! So cool, thank you! I will work on that setup. This eve I tried a quick setup in LUNA (Universal Audio is my IO hardware) and it went well regarding cpu load. Not crazy about LUNA but the signal path is pretty good though.

Thank you for the help!

Return to “Voltage Modular”