AirWave vector animation

huggermugger

AirWave vector animation

Post by huggermugger »

It'd sure be nice if the joystick moved when externally controlled the way it does when controlled by the onboard envelope. The visual feedback would be very helpful for sound design purposes.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 5.53.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 5.53.49 PM.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 305 times
Steve W

Re: AirWave vector animation

Post by Steve W »

huggermugger wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:56 pm It'd sure be nice if the joystick moved when externally controlled the way it does when controlled by the onboard envelope. The visual feedback would be very helpful for sound design purposes.
With both airwave and polyairwave, I used midi learn to map two sliders on my usb keyboard to the A>C and B>D knobs and the joystick moved accordingly. I am on a PC using Windows 10.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

So it is possible. I wonder why the joystick doesn't update when controlled by external CV like the LFO's I'm using.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I don't have the module but I imagine the idea is that external CV is added to the base values set by the joystick.

Manual adjustment, MIDI comtrol and internal modulation will presumably all directly control the joystick position so there will be visual feedback on these but then the CV offsets will be invisibly added on top.

If external CV animated the joystick then you might lose flexibility as you wouldn't be able to so easily combine internal (manual or automated) modulation with external modulation.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

I think Colin's analysis is spot-on. Some developers drive knobs and sliders based on CV input. Others (myself included) tend towards making the CV input a delta/offset from the manually-set knob position.

If you do desire visible CV control of the joystick, perhaps you could use CA's "Remote Control" or R_Ware's "Control" instead? I'll give this a try once I get back to my VM computer at home.

Post by huggermugger »

utdgrant wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:55 am If you do desire visible CV control of the joystick, perhaps you could use CA's "Remote Control" or R_Ware's "Control" instead? I'll give this a try once I get back to my VM computer at home.
Brilliant, it never dawned on me to try this, but it works! Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 9.48.19 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 9.48.19 AM.png (444.29 KiB) Viewed 247 times
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

huggermugger wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:56 pm It'd sure be nice if the joystick moved when externally controlled the way it does when controlled by the onboard envelope. The visual feedback would be very helpful for sound design purposes.
My oversight. I thought by externally controlled you meant from outside VM and by onboard you meant within VM. Basically it's the same method as what Colin and Grant mentioned. I used Remote Control from an external midi.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

utdgrant wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:55 am I think Colin's analysis is spot-on. Some developers drive knobs and sliders based on CV input. Others (myself included) tend towards making the CV input a delta/offset from the manually-set knob position.

If you do desire visible CV control of the joystick, perhaps you could use CA's "Remote Control" or R_Ware's "Control" instead? I'll give this a try once I get back to my VM computer at home.
I'm reminded of a similar behaviour in Reason. If you modulate a parameter via the CV input on the actual device, the control won't animate. But they do animate if you patch the modulation via the matrix mod of a container called a Combinator,
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 7.14.20 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 7.14.20 PM.jpg (348.88 KiB) Viewed 207 times
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Steve W wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:03 pm
My oversight. I thought by externally controlled you meant from outside VM and by onboard you meant within VM. Basically it's the same method as what Colin and Grant mentioned. I used Remote Control from an external midi.
Sorry for the confusion, I figured the screenshot made it clear, but I could have been more specific in the text.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

huggermugger wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:21 pm
Steve W wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:03 pm
Sorry for the confusion, I figured the screenshot made it clear, but I could have been more specific in the text.
Nah. This one's on me for not realizing you were talking about the LFOs before you clarified it.
huggermugger wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:56 pm So it is possible. I wonder why the joystick doesn't update when controlled by external CV like the LFO's I'm using.

Return to “Cherry Audio”