MC-4 Microcomposer sequencer module ?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
sergio_frias_23

MC-4 Microcomposer sequencer module ?

Post by sergio_frias_23 »

hello ,is there any sequencer module that is similar to the roland MC-4 Microcomposer ?, basicly i want the insertion numerical values that corresponds to musical notes, step time values, and gate time ?
Steve W

Re: MC-4 Microcomposer sequencer module ?

Post by Steve W »

Do you have a link to the Roland MC-4 Microcomposer documentation so those of us who use VM can try to help you?
Also, you can look up sequencer in the Store to see if there is something that would work for you. https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules
BBFricotinero

Post by BBFricotinero »

Hello!!!

I think it would be far, so far, more interesting (but also perhaps more - so more?- difficult) to emulate the Roland MC 500 MK2.
Because, as far as I know, this it's one of the last worthy descendants of the micro composer 4 (personally, I've used the MC500 a lot, not the mk2, but the functionalities are almost the same: it was some improvements to make it more practical to use on stage -like midi songs loading and ram memory implementation, for instance).

I have the MC500 MK2 owner's manual, but the file is 5Mb :shock: and too large to be uploaded here, so it would be great if someone could tell me how to do it (rar = 4.5Mb).

Needless to say, if some VM genius here (I'm not joking: there are some!!!) manages to reproduce an MC500 mk2 or equivalent...I'll buy it from him straight away!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Bradner
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

Have you looked at the Mighty Piano Roll?
MightyPianoRoll.jpg
MightyPianoRoll.jpg (124.17 KiB) Viewed 577 times
It's a lot more user-friendly than the laborious MC-4 method of note entry. If you want to go for that authentic 'calculator keypad' entry system, then I don't think there's anything like it in the store currently.

I believe Alex Ball is going to be featuring the MC-4 in one of his upcoming videos.

EDIT: Actually, Alex Ball has already created an MC-4 overview. I think he's going to be loooking at the MC-8 soon.

Post by resoluxe »

Funnily enough, I have something in the works. I've been really studying old sequencers; I bought an MC-300 a while a go and I've been digging into how they work and then the history behind these sequencers, and eventually came back to the MC-4 and MC-8...
DMT-4-Alpha.png
DMT-4-Alpha.png (80.3 KiB) Viewed 567 times
It's very early on, but I've got it controlling Modules so far...
sergio_frias_23

Post by sergio_frias_23 »

wow ,thats really great , hope to see it released soon
BBFricotinero

Post by BBFricotinero »

It looks fantastic just as a project, all my encouragement for what's to come!!!
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

resoluxe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:10 pm Funnily enough, I have something in the works. I've been really studying old sequencers; I bought an MC-300 a while a go and I've been digging into how they work and then the history behind these sequencers, and eventually came back to the MC-4 and MC-8...

It's very early on, but I've got it controlling Modules so far...
That looks helluva impressive! I really hope you pull it off.

I don't envy you implementing the finite state machines for data entry, display and editing, though! :o

Post by utdgrant »

Alex Ball's MC-8 Overview video has just dropped!
AlexBallMC-8.jpg
AlexBallMC-8.jpg (124.99 KiB) Viewed 481 times

Post by ColinP »

Isn't 43 year old technology a bit too modern for you guys?

Wouldn't something from 73 years ago be even better?

1951.png
1951.png (302.85 KiB) Viewed 467 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”