How to create a CR-78 snare drum in VM?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
ColinP

Re: How to create a CR-78 snare drum in VM?

Post by ColinP »

One other thought about this circuitry is that the only calibration available is trimming the noise level with the pot so given how poor tolerances were in components from that era then, even when new, each unit would have sounded slightly different. Also the capacitors in any surviving units will be degraded by now so they probably don't sound the same as they did when shipped.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

For what it's worth, when I posted my patch, I wasn't concerned with replicating the CR-78 sound so much as I was just implementing the patch from the article Colin posted. I choose the modules largely for audio reasons. I've had poor results creating drums using CA's free modules, and I did want a sort of pure, simple basis, which is why I went for MRB's Laboratory series. I used M4's envelope because it was the only one I could find in a reasonable amout of time that did AR (I own close to 2000 modules). And the three modules of my own I used simply because I'm familiar with them; they'd likely be the easiest to replace with something else. The meter isn't necessary once you've got the CV's set, but you could use Monkey Business' free meter in place of it. Poly2Mono could be replaced by CA's free break-out. CA's voltage preset module only has two outputs, but you could use two of them and forego any Cyberwerks modules.

Honestly, were I trying to dupe the CR-78 sound, I'd likely just have started with a Vult Trummor2, which is a gangbusters drum generator.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Okay, here's a version of the patch I posted done almost entirely in more common modules. Sorry, but couldn't do anything about the Frequency Shifter, because so far as I know, no one's got a free one. To my ear it doesn't sound quite as crisp, and you can definitely get the EGs to trip up with fast playing, where the M4 modules didn't. You get what you pay for, if you're lucky. ;)
Snare Drum 02.voltagepreset
(22.78 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
martin17

Post by martin17 »

have found this
CR-78.jpg
CR-78.jpg (47.53 KiB) Viewed 294 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”