MIDI Learn - Osc Frequency jumps around zero

Memorymode is based upon one of the very best-sounding polyphonic programmable analog synthesizers of the 80s, the legendary Memorymoog synthesizer.
TranquilityBase

MIDI Learn - Osc Frequency jumps around zero

Post by TranquilityBase »

Hi,

is it just my setup or does anyone else have this problem. I assigned a MIDI controller to the OSC Frequencies in Memorymode and when I try to adjust the frequency with the controller knob every time I approach the zero value it jumps from i.e. -0.6 to 0.6 semi-tones. I cannot reach zero with my midi controller. I don't have this on Elka-X and other VSTs. Is there a fix for this. Obviously I would like the values to smoothly pass through zero and be able to stop at zero.

Cheers
Steve W

Re: MIDI Learn - Osc Frequency jumps around zero

Post by Steve W »

I just assigned a slider to the virtual frequency knobs on oscillators 2 and 3 and it also jumps past 0. I tried a couple of other sliders with the same results. When I assign the same sliders to pulse width (or some other knobs), the motion of the virtual knobs do not accelerate through either side of zero.

Did you report this to support?

I did this using Windows 10 Pro and the standalone version.
Last edited by Steve W on Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

PLEASE NOTE: The following hypothesis has been put to rest.

Maybe it's by design to force a small amount of non-zero offset to avoid oscillators being in tune (i.e., to fatten up multi-oscillator patches). Not sure if that mimics the hardware's behavior, but maybe.
Frequency (oscillator 2 and 3 only)- Allows fine-tuning of pitch or building intervals into multi-oscillator patches. It's also useful for fattening up multi-oscillator patches by detuning a small amount. Its range is a smidge over a fifth, up or down.
Last edited by Steve W on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

PLEASE NOTE: The following hypothesis has been put to rest. Based on the the discussion, I hold my original position: it is a bug and should be reported.

I played around some more and I'm going to say it's intentional for the reason I mentioned (acceptable sound fattening). When I set the frequency for Osc 2 and Osc 3 to zero, I got some very slow beating that sounded horrible to my ear, although Osc 2 can can be synced to Osc 1 to avoid what seems to simulate like phase cancellation between Osc 1 and Osc 2.
Last edited by Steve W on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

This is not the behavior of hardware MemoryMoogs; you can tune them to cancel all beating between oscillators. I'd report this to support, were I you. Just one thought: do you have the detune knob set to zero when you try this? That's not a control the hardware instrument has, as it drifts all by its lonesome.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

PLEASE NOTE: This post is based on Reid's post (immediately above) and confirms what he says.

The drift knob was indeed causing the slow phase shifting sound between Osc 1 and Osc 2. Turning it to zero has no effect on the issue the OP raises. I agree, it should be reported. Thanks.

Incidentally, when Osc 1 and Osc 2 are set to 0 with the mouse/mouse+keyboard entry after being changed via midi, they can be synced to get rid of what sounds like phase cancellation by momentarily pressing the sync 2 to 1 button.
Last edited by Steve W on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

TranquilityBase wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:17 pm I assigned a MIDI controller to the OSC Frequencies in Memorymode and when I try to adjust the frequency with the controller knob every time I approach the zero value it jumps from i.e. -0.6 to 0.6 semi-tones. I cannot reach zero with my midi controller. I don't have this on Elka-X and other VSTs. Is there a fix for this. Obviously I would like the values to smoothly pass through zero and be able to stop at zero.
I also experience this behavior. I've been looking at the values in the "Value" display (duh) and found that the value jumps get larger as you approach 50% and smaller towards 0%/100%. You can very clearly see this when you turn your controller knob at constant speed that the frequency knob speeds up from -8.01 towards 0 and slows down from 0 towards 8.01. It gets even more obvious if you learn the frequency knob and the pulse width knob to the same control, then you can see them move at different speeds. This cannot be fixed in the MIDI control settings, because the curve only bends in one direction at a time. I would also consider this a bug and you should definitely report your findings.

Best regards,
Martin
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
TranquilityBase

Post by TranquilityBase »

So there seems to be no workaround available. I talked to support.

Hope they consider fixing this somehow. It is a bit annoying not being able to set the tuning to zero with the controller. I always have to go back and use the mouse.

Return to “Memorymode Synthesizer”