Octagon with midi out

TA7

Octagon with midi out

Post by TA7 »

Hello everybody. I wanted to control Roland's SH2 with Octagon.
Here is a picture of the wiring.

In the DAW (Cakewalk) I have now set the MIDI input of the SH2 to Omni Voltage Modular. Without a result. Anyone have an idea what I forgot?

Cheers Tomas
Jean d'Oran

Re: Octagon with midi out

Post by Jean d'Oran »

hello one alone !

I see the Trig out of Octagon in the Gate "in" of MIDI out...

Maybe it'll work with the Gate out of Octagon in the Gate "in" of MIDI out ?

Tell us !
Jean, from France
Dos never said "excellent command or filename" !
TA7

Post by TA7 »

I also tried the gate connection. Unfortunately it doesn't work either.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

In the "MIDI Out" module you have "NO DEVICE" selected. Do you need to perform some sort of MIDI loopback into Cakewalk?

Post by martb »

In the midi out module you have to select 'send to daw host' at the 'select midi device' button.
TA7

Post by TA7 »

Hi guys, first of all, thank you for your answers.
Here's another picture of the wired sequencer.

As I said, in the DAW I set the input of the SH2's midi track to Voltage Modular Omni. With other midi plugins such as instachord I actually do exactly the same and it works perfectly.
Maybe another idea?
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I don't have the Roland SH-2, but this type of project interests me. I rarely use the Octagon module, so this is a great patch to try with a different synth that I do have. Thanks for the idea.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

Try running the FX version of VM. That's the only way I can get MIDI to emerge from VM. I did some extensive checking and CA confirmed that using the FX version is needed.

This changed at some point and left me unable to use VM sequencers to control anything outside of VM. Now, I'm back to doing what I used to do.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

SpaceDog wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:02 am Try running the FX version of VM. That's the only way I can get MIDI to emerge from VM. I did some extensive checking and CA confirmed that using the FX version is needed.

This changed at some point and left me unable to use VM sequencers to control anything outside of VM. Now, I'm back to doing what I used to do.
Interesting. I have had midi coming from VM to my DAW (and vice versa) many times before and also last night. Maybe VM is buggy and it works on some systems and not others. Or maybe it depends on various factors (PC, DAW, routing, chipset, other software on the system, who knows?).

Not doubting your experience; just saying we have different experiences that might be equally valid.
TA7

Post by TA7 »

hi guys, here is my setup as it works for me. I find it a bit more complicated to set up like this than with other Midi plugins, but it works.

First here is a picture of how I wired it up in VM.

I have three tracks in Cakewalk.

1. Audio track:
Input SH2 ; Output Master. Loaded FX Voltage Modular FX in which The above patch is. MIDI output must be activated in the VST3 settings.

2. one midi track: input all external ; Output Voltage Modular FX1

3. a midi track: Input Voltage Modular FX1 Midikanal1 ; Output SH2

Return to “Cherry Audio”