When will VM work with Logic on Ventura?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
simonpyke

Re: When will VM work with Logic on Ventura?

Post by simonpyke »

good to know, I appreciate the update
timmsusa

Post by timmsusa »

Sry, for this question, did you ever considered to change to other approaches like RUST Lang or C++ only? I know it would be a huge load of work, but you will get a better product out of it as I see challenge by using proprietary JAVA, especially on mac. Prob you are aware of all the discussion. What about GraalVM? I just do not know, but C++ only, you might could do QT or JUCE. I think C++ always should work without discussions with apple imo (but please correct me, if I was complete wrong here)
david.krueger

Post by david.krueger »

cherryaudio Robert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:39 pm Finish line in sight, a number of people working on it yesterday. No new news, no specific date, just that we’re still working on it.
This is great news. I started with Voltage Modular in Logic a week before I updated to Ventura, not knowing about the flaw. I was having so much fun and then it was broken. I was so bummed.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

timmsusa wrote:
Sry, for this question, did you ever considered to change to other approaches like RUST Lang or C++ only? I know it would be a huge load of work, but you will get a better product out of it as I see challenge by using proprietary JAVA, especially on mac. Prob you are aware of all the discussion. What about GraalVM? I just do not know, but C++ only, you might could do QT or JUCE. I think C++ always should work without discussions with apple imo (but please correct me, if I was complete wrong here)
VM's core engine is written in C++, so you're asking for what's already there. It's the modules that are written in Java, and I think you'd get quite a lot of kick-back from independent developers at any change to that. I know that a number of them, myself included, are adept in C++, but still prefer not to code modules in it. I believe some of that is based on their experience in coding for VCV Rack. If you look through the Developer section of the Forum, you'll find more than one thread discussing exactly that.

Besides which, what would the incentive be for CA to change the language and disenfranchise the developers who've already written several thousand modules for VM?

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I agree with Reid's comments.

Ultimately though the problem seems to be that Apple constantly chop and change things. Breaking people's tools by releasing a new OS every year seems pretty bonkers to me, but I gave up on Apple a long time ago so my knowledge is only second hand.

On the Java thing I think Apple wanted people to use Objective C instead and when that ran out of steam they moved to pushing Swift. I don't think it's anything to do with problems per se with Java as no language is perfect. Microsoft did the same thing with C#.
robgray

Post by robgray »

cherryaudio Robert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:39 pm Finish line in sight, a number of people working on it yesterday. No new news, no specific date, just that we’re still working on it.
Thanks for the update Robert! Looking forward to using Voltage Modular again. I open Standalone occasionally but it’s harder to use during a quick project that way.
simonpyke

Post by simonpyke »

Hi , is this still happening please?
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

I'm glad I found this thread. I was about to upgrade to Ventura, but knowing this, I think I'll hold off as long as possible.
akiyat

Post by akiyat »

FYI: Still doesn't validate in Logic 10.8.1 released today.
simonpyke

Post by simonpyke »

good to know thanks.

Would be good to know if this is likely to be permanently shelved? wish I could roll back to the previous macos to use it tbh

Return to “Voltage Modular”