Sell Me...

Mercury-4 is a detailed emulation of one of the best-sounding and quirkiest polyphonic synthesizers of the late 1970's, the Roland Jupiter-4.
huggermugger

Sell Me...

Post by huggermugger »

Dammit, I trialled Mercury 4 a while back, but barely got a chance with it. I think I really want it, but I need to hear the love for it...

If you own it, how great is it? What are its strengths and weaknesses?
utdgrant

Re: Sell Me...

Post by utdgrant »

I love it. It's vying for first place in my CA 'non-VM instruments' chart. The only possible other contender for that position so far is Polymode, but I've got a thing for paraphonics! :?

The Mercury 4 is VERY reminiscent of sounds used by British electro-pop acts of the late '70s / early '80s. I've also had some workable Vangelis sounds out of it.

The main thing for me is that it is full of 'sweet spots'. Some synths have loads of options but don't inspire me. M-4 is simpler and more instant but seems to deliver lovely useable sounds by the bucketload.

Post by Jo Beatz »

Hi,

so I would say the sound is just great. The Mercury-4 sounds super fat and analog. I also find the interface very pleasant. The effects also fit well to it. What is somewhat limiting, however, is simply the fact that there is only one oscillator. You have to experiment a bit to create complex sounds. But then these are also possible. I do not regret the purchase in any case.

Regards
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Welp, I pulled the trigger (on this as well as EightVoice, DC106 and Polymode). Mercury 4 is my favourite kind of synth, simple layout but strong sound.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 8.16.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 8.16.09 PM.png (660.02 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

OneOfUs.gif
OneOfUs.gif (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4121 times

Post by Steve W »

huggermugger wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:18 am Welp, I pulled the trigger (on this as well as EightVoice, DC106 and Polymode). Mercury 4 is my favourite kind of synth, simple layout but strong sound.
Hope you got them as part of the Humble Bundle. It's a great price and it helps a charity.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Sure did! What luck that two synths I've wanted for sometime both came in the bundle, Mercury 4 and Eight Voice.
Jo Beatz

Post by Jo Beatz »

Good choice. 8-) I use the Mercury 4 somehow the most of all CA synths.

Return to “Mercury-4 Synthesizer”