Vita is now available

sdv

Re: Vita is now available

Post by sdv »

borkman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:46 am Thank you for your ideas! I have noted them for a future update.

1. Send a trigger after the last cell dies
2. Ability to reset pattern to something other than the single stored pattern, either random or other stored pattern(s)
Cool!! Also, for me, visually, it would be nice if the cell board was the same size as the input jack section -- easier to visualize the cell-to-jack mapping. Perhaps the Rand, Clear, Next, Reset, Store/Preset jacks & buttons could go down the right-hand side? The increased module width wouldn't hurt my feelings. :D
borkman

Post by borkman »

I'm tossing around ideas for making the cell/jack connection more obvious. It's on the list.
sdv

Post by sdv »

borkman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:46 am Thank you for your ideas! I have noted them for a future update.

1. Send a trigger after the last cell dies
2. Ability to reset pattern to something other than the single stored pattern, either random or other stored pattern(s)
Another thought would be to add a third mode - a 'random' mode where the jack doesn't output a trigger signal but rather a random voltage. One idea would be to then connect those to a quantizer for random melodies ...OR... since the board is an 8x8 matrix you could have either the rows or columns be preset to note voltages of certain scales (you could go from C0 to C8 in one grid). It seems like the random voltage would be more in line with the generative gestalt which is modular gear but maybe make it a four mode module. :D
...OR... make two sets (switchable via the togglw) of predefined voltages which equate to note; Set One would be 0-63, the other 64-127?
borkman

Post by borkman »

sdv wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:01 pm Another thought would be to add a third mode - a 'random' mode where the jack doesn't output a trigger signal but rather a random voltage. One idea would be to then connect those to a quantizer for random melodies ...OR... since the board is an 8x8 matrix you could have either the rows or columns be preset to note voltages of certain scales (you could go from C0 to C8 in one grid). It seems like the random voltage would be more in line with the generative gestalt which is modular gear but maybe make it a four mode module. :D
...OR... make two sets (switchable via the togglw) of predefined voltages which equate to note; Set One would be 0-63, the other 64-127?
Interesting ideas! I'll definitely add to the list. I'm taking a short break from releasing new modules, but I might focus on making some additions to my existing modules, including Vita. No promises yet, as it depends on how a few things play out.

Speaking of new modules, my next will be based on another cellular automata. It's mostly finished, but I'm not sure when it will be out. So many ideas, so little time.
paganini

Post by paganini »

I got the VITA seq, I would like some exemples of how to use this module !

Thx

Pierre
sdv

Post by sdv »

borkman wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:48 pm
sdv wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:01 pm Another thought would be to add a third mode - a 'random' mode where the jack doesn't output a trigger signal but rather a random voltage. One idea would be to then connect those to a quantizer for random melodies ...OR... since the board is an 8x8 matrix you could have either the rows or columns be preset to note voltages of certain scales (you could go from C0 to C8 in one grid). It seems like the random voltage would be more in line with the generative gestalt which is modular gear but maybe make it a four mode module. :D
Interesting ideas! I'll definitely add to the list. I'm taking a short break from releasing new modules, but I might focus on making some additions to my existing modules, including Vita. No promises yet, as it depends on how a few things play out.
I understand. These modules are probably a labor of love so you can only spend so much time and resources on them. I'll be interested to seeing what else you come up with!
borkman

Post by borkman »

paganini wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:57 pm I got the VITA seq, I would like some exemples of how to use this module !

Thx

Pierre
I just saw this. I'm not sure how I missed it. My apologies!

As a sequencer, you could use it to drive sound sources, activate/deactivate effects, change audio/CV routing, step through other sequencers, or anything else that can work with a value of either 0 or +5. As a switch, you could use it to combine up to 64 audio signals to build changing soundscapes, create an interesting modulation signal by combining other modulation signals, or use it in any way you might use another switch.

The value of each jack (or contribution of each jack in switch mode) is completely determined by your starting pattern, the rules of Conway's Game of Life, and where you are in your generations. There is no randomness. But there are happy accidents. :) A haphazardly created starting pattern may lead to some interesting sequences, and starting again from that same pattern with lead to the exact same sequences. Or a known oscillating pattern may be used for interesting effect. Gliders look cool and might just be musical in the right situation.

I hope that answers your question. The manual details the specifics of how to use the module, but the question of why to use the module is up to you.

Return to “borkman”