VMD Programming Reference Guides, Looking for

Steve W

VMD Programming Reference Guides, Looking for

Post by Steve W »

Is there an API Reference Guide? Yes, I know I can look things up one at a time in the VMD IDE's Library. If its available, I'd rather have all them all in a pdf manual. Thanks.
ColinP

Re: VMD Programming Reference Guides, Looking for

Post by ColinP »

If you download the SDK there's a PDF of https://docs.cherryaudio.com/voltage-mo ... -operation in the Documentation directory.

In the same place you'll find a JavaDocs directory. Inside this are various html files that index the API information. It depends on how you want to search the information but I generally click on allclasses-index as this gives you a bog-standard class view.

Mind you, it sounds like you want all of that info collated into one huge PDF file for some reason. But the above might be useful for others just starting out.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks. I found the JavaDocs Folder with the html docs (already had it; just needed to find where it was). I am used to curling up and reading manuals. I find that scrolling though massive webdocs on a screen makes me nauseous. Having to constantly click on things to look at what's there is not as user friendly as flipping pages. I got spoiled by reading books and manuals. (Remember those?)

On the other hand, tabs, the search bar, Ctrl+F, links, etc. do save a lot of page flipping and help minimize eye strain from scrolling.

But this is much better than using the IDE. Once I know everything that's there, the tooltips in the IDE's Library can serve as reminders.

Steve
Last edited by Steve W on Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I gave up on paper based manuals some time ago. The last proper manual I had was ages ago when I had to learn to be a UNIX administrator in something ridiculous like a week as someone we'd previously relied on suddenly quit. The manual I inherited took up about six feet of shelf space (obviously most of it not to do with admin). I don't want to go down that road again.

I can find stuff on a computer much faster, magnify it if my eyes are tired, do a quick CTRL F to search, copy and paste, it helps reduce my impact on the environment and everything fits inside my little laptop.

I do use paper for my notes though.
marcusfreeweb

Post by marcusfreeweb »

Steve W wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:10 am Thanks. I found the JavaDocs Folder with the html docs (already had it; just needed to find where it was). I am used to curling up and reading manuals. I find that scrolling though massive webdocs on a screen makes me nauseous. Having to constantly click on things to look at what's there is not as user friendly as flipping pages. I got spoiled by reading books and manuals. (Remember those?)

On the other hand, tabs, the search bar, Ctrl+F, links, etc. do save a lot of page flipping and help minimize eye strain from scrolling.

But this is much better than using the IDE. Once I know everything that's there, the tooltips in the IDE's Library can serve as reminders.

Steve
I can't find, I'm on Mac. Is the SDK the same as the Module Designer, which I have installed?

Marcus
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

marcusfreeweb wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:47 am
I can't find, I'm on Mac. Is the SDK the same as the Module Designer, which I have installed?

Marcus
It's a separate download. I'm not sure how you navigate to the download page on CA's website. I had to find it by google.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/software/ ... eloper-kit
marcusfreeweb

Post by marcusfreeweb »

ColinP wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:43 am
marcusfreeweb wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:47 am

Marcus
It's a separate download. I'm not sure how you navigate to the download page on CA's website. I had to find it by google.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/software/ ... eloper-kit
Oh, thank you, I have seen this, so it is 99 Euro just for the examples and (some more) documentation, if I do not intend commercial development?

In the FAQ it says the free edition will give you exactly the same.

EDIT: Got it! Somehow it is already in my User Account product library, ready for download. Many thanks.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

marcusfreeweb wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:17 pm Oh, thank you, I have seen this, so it is 99 Euro just for the examples and (some more) documentation, if I do not intend commercial development?

In the FAQ it says the free edition will give you exactly the same.
Commercial license is 99 Euros / USD today.

Tomorrow might be a different story... ;)

Post by ColinP »

AFAIK the SDK has always been free.

Payment is only required for a commercial license that enables you to sell your modules in CA's store (providing they pass the QA testing).

Also it looks like the sale has already kicked in so the license should currently be discounted if you want to do commerical development.

Return to “Module Designer”