First time release questions

borkman

First time release questions

Post by borkman »

As I write docs and polish up a few modules for my first release, I 'd like to ask a few questions of the more experienced folks here who'd like to share their wisdom and knowledge.

1. Do you engage users to test or do it all yourself? I've been testing as I go and will do more comprehensive testing before I release, but as a software developer for 30+ years, I understand the value of getting other eyes on it. I'm new to VM and somewhat new to modular systems, so I might be making mistakes that are obvious to others but not to me. It wouldn't be the first time!

2. How do I get a forum? I realize it may be a bit premature, but it'd be nice to have it in place before I put anything out so there is an obvious place to communicate.

3. Any gotchas or things you'd like to share from your first, or later, experiences releasing modules?

I appreciate your thoughts.
seal58

Re: First time release questions

Post by seal58 »

Hi,

for complex modules it might be helpful to invite users to act as beta testers. For that case manufacturers product page in Nebula offers button "put in beta".

Before you can invite beta testers of course you need a forum area. Please contact CA support team. They will create a forum area with your manufacturer's name.

Before you submit a product for approval, the product should be fully testet. As approval CA checks whether product meets all functions as described in the doc file.
When approval was succesful you can publish the product. Then it will be seen in CA store for all other users.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

Welcome to the world of development, borkman!

1. The first couple of bundles I released (Dome Music Technologies), I did all my own testing. Further down the line, I got a couple of close friends to agree to be beta-testers. I valued their opinions and knew they wouldn't complain for the sake of it.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting things perfect first time round - you can always release an update after it's been in the wild for a while and user feedback starts to come in. If you find it to be a useful module, the chances are that others will like it, too. I'm hard-core in that respect - I only create modules that I want for my own use (and which don't already exist); if any other users want to buy a copy, then that's a lovely bonus. My #1 piece of advice is - don't write modules for other people with a view to making a business out of it. My #2 piece of advice - never try to second-guess what other users want.

2. You can request a forum by raising a ticket on Kayako. Not sure if CA will give you a manufacturer's forum before any modules are released, though.

3. Creating presets is still a black art to me. From a personal PoV, that's still my biggest bugbear with publishing.

For general advice, you can't do much better than trawl through all the threads within this specific forum.

Post by ColinP »

Welcome.

Roland and Grant have covered most things but here are my thoughts.

I'd recommend releasing a simple free module first. This let's you go through the publishing pipeline and learn the ropes without having to worry too much about things.

It's best to start small and work up slowly rather than attempt to push boundaries early on.

The amount of testing you need to do depends on the complexity of the project and how far you stray from vanilla programming. Any fancy low-level stuff needs testing on both PC and Mac. Beta testing is very useful but don't consider it to be exhaustive.

Test your code in VMD in debugging mode as you'll likely miss any exceptions being thrown in VM proper. However there are subtle differences in behaviour between VMD's test client and VM (and some things can't be simulated in the test client) so always test in VM too and consider VM behaviour as what really counts.

Danny L at support is very knowledgable and friendly. He will help you navigate any difficulties but for general programming chat it's best to post here on the Module Designer part of the forum as there are several regulars who will chip in with advice and encouragement.

Treat development as a hobby. It is possible to make money but it's a very niche market and your main motivation needs to be creative rather than financial.
borkman

Post by borkman »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I really appreciate it!

Return to “Module Designer”