Comments on HJOL

UrbanCyborg

Comments on HJOL

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Nice module! I think it should have been categorized as an Instrument, rather than an Oscillator, since it has oscillators, filters, envelopes, VCAs, and effects, which is everything needed for an instrument.

I'd also consider improving the written documentation, as it's hard to figure the basic instrument out. Maybe an overview section, perhaps with a flow diagram. The most confusing thing about the module is how modulation routes; the row of LEDs isn't well explained. Likewise, I haven't been able to figure out how you got circles offset from center screen. Had you considered maybe animating an influence field that would integrate the effects of all circles currently in play? Maybe something like a color-coded topo map. It also wasn't clear whether or not the influence circles had any effect outside their boundaries, as they easily could have.

One thing I'd request for a future version: expand the footprint so as to allow for CV inputs for the modulators, at least some of them. It could be very useful to be able to modulate the X/Y parameters in real time. Another way to approach the same thing would be to incorporate one or more LFOs. If you think of the module as an instrument, it's easier to justify the expanded footprint to yourself, as well. ;)

Really nice module, as I think I said earlier. 8-)

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
creart

Re: Comments on HJOL

Post by creart »

Hey Reid
Thanks for the comments!
I agree on the instrument part.. thought I had set it as an instrument… don’t know how good it is to change that afterwards?

I will create a pdf manual and try to write that as concise as possible!

The reason I didn’t put mod inputs in there was because I thought of the module mostly as a standalone drone/oscillator/sound source with its own modulation sources.

The offset part of any source is something I will have to have a closer look at how to achieve that properly. The movement of the circles is around a center based on goniometrics.. Somehow I could not get it completely as I wanted, so definitely room for improvement there.. maybe I’ll add extra knobs just for the offset, to not interfere with the interface I might make them available by shift click on the move knobs…

The circles do not have any effect outside of their boundaries right now, but the influence can be either positive or negative within those boundaries, so if you’d set the knob value for for instance carrier mod higher and used a negative influence within the circle you ‘d work around to get such an effect..?

I did not think of an overall source to effect everything… that would indeed be ‘One Ring to Rule Them All’ :D
And yes I would have to make the module wider still then to accomodate for extra controls and mod inputs and such…
Again thanks so much for the comments!!
Request for Music
creart

Re: Comments on HJOL

Post by creart »

I am struggling a bit with the position of offset knobs....
Shift clicking and make them available is an option but then they would not be obvious..
Would you think this is an acceptable alternative for having offset knobs available in the interface?
The red knobs are the offsets then...
Request for Music

Return to “Request for Music”