VM - Automation in Logic. Question

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Macha

VM - Automation in Logic. Question

Post by Macha »

i have tried to map both VM900 , and on another channel of my DAW ( logic) ,VM2500 to three behringer BCR2000 controllers. Mappingone of them went fine.
But when I finalize the mapping of the second channel with VM inserted a lot of the mappings of the other VM channel are lost. I can see them mentioned on the automation page in Logic but no response when i turn the knobs. Somehow the two channels of VM seem to interfere with each other.
I want to record my tweaks so i use the Logic automation and not midi within VM.

My question: can i adress automation numbers on two separate channels in my DAW using the same automation numbers of VM?
Or do I need to use different numbers for each channel and continue from the last number i used on the first channel?

Hope someone can help me solve this….

Thnx a lot

Kr jane
Steve W

Re: VM - Automation in Logic. Question

Post by Steve W »

Not sure if this is related to what you are trying to do, but maybe. I have run into issues in trying to use an external controller that has 16 knobs which send CC data to my VM on my PC. My goal was to switch the base channel for the 16 knobs on-the fly, so I could control up to 16 x 16 parameters in VM.

For the most part, I found that normal MIDI I/O in VM does not operate on a channel-by-channel basis.

There is a set of VM button/fader modules that are set up to learn CCs on a channel-by-channel basis. Unfortunately, on my vintage PC, an array of 16 modules uses more CPU resources than I care to use. I have some other workarounds I use on a patch-by-patch basis. It works for some things I want to do, not for others.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before buying these VM modules, you should demo them and test them within the allotted demo time period to see if they will meet your needs without over powering your CPU.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/m ... ack-bundle
NOTE: The module developer specifically designed them for use with the BCR2000:
This Bundle includes 4 modules. All modules can map encoders and/or buttons of MIDI hardware controllers and support MIDI parameter feedback. MIDI controllers like the “X Touch Mini” and the older, but powerful, “BCR2000” work nice with this bundle.

They might or might not meet your needs.

More importantly, these modules demonstrate that in the VM world, channelized CCs can be used. I have thought of asking if the developer would be willing to share his code so that other module developers could do this kind of thing in their modules.

This post has an image of the 4 modules: viewtopic.php?p=7324#p7324
Last edited by Steve W on Tue May 16, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Macha wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:34 am can i adress automation numbers on two separate channels in my DAW using the same automation numbers of VM?
Or do I need to use different numbers for each channel and continue from the last number i used on the first channel?
I don't use my DAWs built-in automation tools since I prefer to use CCs. I don't know if this would work in your DAW, but there are modules that filter midi data by channel.

For my purposes, I have used one or more of the following for channelizing specific needs:

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/m ... nel-filter
https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midisplitch

There's also this: https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/cv-midi. I am not sure if I used it for filtering midi CCs on a channel-by-channel basis.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before buying any of these VM modules, you should demo them and test them within the allotted demo time period to see if they will meet your needs.
Macha

Post by Macha »

Thnx a lot Steve W for your replies. I ll check out your suggestions. Very curious if that bcr2000 tool will help solve this.i will update my findings here.

Return to “Voltage Modular”