Preset loading question/issue

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
karkass666

Preset loading question/issue

Post by karkass666 »

HI! Running on a macbook m1 max, and I cannot get Voltage to open presets. I redirect it to the folder, I can see the presets there, but I cannot figure out how to get them to open.
Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 2.18.26 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 2.18.26 PM.png (653.31 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
I can see the individual presets in the Factory Presets folder, but can't choose it as the default folder. I can choose the Presets folder shown as the default, but can't see or open presets from there. if I put the .presetdb files into their respective folders, it just creates new ones as shown in the screencap. I'm certain I've done something dumb and need some help to untangle this mess please!
Steve W

Re: Preset loading question/issue

Post by Steve W »

I don't use a Mac, but if I understand what you are saying (not sure that I do), there has been an issue in Windows that sounds slightly similar.

It used to be that we could click on a preset and Windows would know to open Voltage Modular because Windows knew to do that. We could also open VM and load a preset through VM's preset browser.

Then something changed. The result was that clicking on a VM preset in Windows would start VM and it would open up with empty cabinets. That meant that VM would have to be started first and then we could either use the browser or click on a preset from a Windows folder.
karkass666 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:22 pm HI! Running on a macbook m1 max, and I cannot get Voltage to open presets. I redirect it to the folder, I can see the presets there, but I cannot figure out how to get them to open. I can see the individual presets in the Factory Presets folder, but can't choose it as the default folder. I can choose the Presets folder shown as the default, but can't see or open presets from there. if I put the .presetdb files into their respective folders, it just creates new ones as shown in the screencap. I'm certain I've done something dumb and need some help to untangle this mess please!
Not being a Mac person I can't make any sense of what you wrote here. I have never done anything with a presetdb file. Maybe that's a Mac thing. But I just looked and there are presetdb files on my computer, too. The names seem to be categories. For example, "Solaris Ensemble Presets.presetdb" is a category for presets in the Solaris Ensemble Collection of presets.

I took a shot in the dark that what you described might be vaguely similar to what's going on with Windows.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

You don't want to mess with the presets.db files; just leave them where they are. They're auto-generated by VM for its own purposes. I'm not entirely clear on exactly what you're doing. Can you open presets from within VM?

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

karkass666 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:22 pm HI! Running on a macbook m1 max, and I cannot get Voltage to open presets. I redirect it to the folder . . . .
UrbanCyborg wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:55 pm Can you open presets from within VM?
Good question. I just assumed (1) karkass666 first tried the normal way to open presets but for some reason that didn't work and (2) karkass666 had a lot of technical experience with finding workarounds on Macs in order to problem solve issues.
karkass666

Post by karkass666 »

You nailed it. The presets simply don't show up, before i do anything to the preset file locations. So I tried to fix it manually, and it didn't work.It was obvious something was wrong by the creation of individual preset folders, which are not populated, but then secondary placement of the preset.db files in the directly above preset folder. I then tried to move the new .db files into the previously created folders, but nada.Is there any other info I can provide to solve this? and thank you to everyone who responded to my question. Again, I assume user error, but I can't pinpoint where that might have happened.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

You can always contact support directly: Start A Conversation

Greg
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Be sure to let the forum know what you eventually do to fix it, so this thread doesn't just end on a dangle. :D

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “Voltage Modular”