Capturing Mouse Wheel Events

Centripidity

Capturing Mouse Wheel Events

Post by Centripidity »

There doesn't currently appear to be a way to do this. Before I put in a feature request I thought it prudent to check here in case I'm missing something obvious, or even something obscure.
ColinP

Re: Capturing Mouse Wheel Events

Post by ColinP »

I'm not sure capturing mouse wheel events would be a good idea even if you could, because the wheel provides the easiest way to navigate around a large patch...

mouse wheel = scroll up/down

SHIFT + mouse wheel = scroll left/right

CTRL (or ⌘) + mouse wheel = zoom in/out

In VM's Settings you can select Mouse Wheel Adjusts Control Value if you like but I keep it disabled because it's so easy to make accidental changes.

It would be half usable if it required a click on a control for it to grab focus and for there to be some visual indication that a control had mouse wheel focus, or if it only operated when you held the ALT key down, but as it stands it's basically guess work as to whether you get a scroll or a control change and for me at least is therefore totally useless.

Personally I'd want to always keep the wheel just for scroll and zoom anyway.
Centripidity

Post by Centripidity »

ColinP wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:00 pm
In VM's Settings you can select Mouse Wheel Adjusts Control Value if you like but I keep it disabled because it's so easy to make accidental changes.

Personally I'd want to always keep the wheel just for scroll and zoom anyway.
Colin,

I agree with you on both these points but it's the second point you make that I'm trying to implement. I have a view port that can scroll around a larger area. If I hover over the scroll bars the mouse wheel works fine. To my mind though, it would be a better and more operating system GUI consistent (in MacOS at least) if the scroll wheel worked anywhere in the viewport and not just over the scroll bars.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

It's that way in Windows, too. Seems like reasonable behavior to me.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Centripidity wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:56 am . . . it's the second point you make that I'm trying to implement. I have a view port that can scroll around a larger area. If I hover over the scroll bars the mouse wheel works fine. To my mind though, it would be a better and more operating system GUI consistent (in MacOS at least) if the scroll wheel worked anywhere in the viewport and not just over the scroll bars.
With Windows, the Mighty Piano Roll's viewing area scrolls. No need to use the scroll bars. Not sure if CA uses methods that are not available to third-party module-makers.

I think it would be handy for larger viewing areas, but if third-party module-makers had the ability to hot-spot all module elements, VM users would run the risk (for example) of unintentionally changing settings when they just want to zoom in and out or slide an entire patch around (left/right, up/down).

Return to “Module Designer”