R_Ware Basic Oscillator

rsover

R_Ware Basic Oscillator

Post by rsover »

I notice some UI lag when using the Basic Oscillator, no matter the number of modules in the patch.
Could this be because of the realtime rendering of the waveforms? If so could you add a button to turn on/off the drawing?
ChR_is

Re: R_Ware Basic Oscillator

Post by ChR_is »

Hi rsover!

Can you please provide some more information about this issue? how does this lag show for you? are you using VM standalone or inside of a DAW? are you on windows or mac? what combination of modules do you have loaded when you see these issues?

The scope is drawn by the gui thread and shouldn't cause that much overhead. i'd like to investigate the issue to find out what's going on.

i'll add the possibility to turn the scope off in an update regardless. thanks for the great suggestion!
rsover

Post by rsover »

I made a video with the behaviour: https://youtu.be/w4R33eDjo74

I run VM in standalone on a MacBook Pro 16" 2019, OS version 13.2.1, CPU 2.3 8-Core Intel i9, Video: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB (it switches between them when needed, I don't know if VM is actually using any accelerated GPU for UI) and 16 GB of RAM.

I want to note that the sound is working just fine, no dropouts or artefacts that relates to that area.
Voltage Modular, Arturia V7 Collection / Ableton Live 11 Intro

MacBook Pro 2019, 2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 (16GB Ram), OSX Big Sur (11.x)
ChR_is

Post by ChR_is »

Thanks for the video! that helped a lot in understanding the issue

i have pushed updates for Basic Oscillator and Basic Oscillator Poly that introduce a configuration menu for the scope where you can enable/disable the scope entirely, enable/disable the scope's responsiveness to cv, and switch between an efficient or precise iteration of the scope. i'll publish these updates as soon as they are approved by CA.
ChR_is

Post by ChR_is »

Unfortunately I had to do some more tweaking, but i was finally able to pin-point the root cause of the issue: the background of the module. I use vector graphics in my user interfaces to achieve a crisp and clean look at any zoom level. however, the background of Basic Oscillator (Poly) is very busy as there are lots of little, multi-colored hexagons that form a pattern in the background. Since this is vector graphics VM has to render all of that in real-time. that was a bit much to ask of VM. I have now replaced the graphics and it's running smoothly again. i made this small demo showcasing the improved graphic performance: https://youtu.be/MgEI0lriAm0

Both modules need to undergo the approval process again unfortunately. But as soon as these are approved i'll push the update :)
ChR_is

Post by ChR_is »

The update is published!
rsover

Post by rsover »

Thanks! Works great.
Voltage Modular, Arturia V7 Collection / Ableton Live 11 Intro

MacBook Pro 2019, 2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 (16GB Ram), OSX Big Sur (11.x)

Return to “R_Ware”