Creating VSTs from VM Designer

AllanH

Creating VSTs from VM Designer

Post by AllanH »

The VM Module Designer is a really great prototyping and development tool. I’ve found that I’m more productive than in JUCE and the ability to connect “things up” in real-time is great for development and debugging. VM is also very efficient (imo) and doesn’t seem to impose a lot of costs at execution time.

Recognizing that Cherry Audio releases their main instruments outside Nucleus made wonder:

Q: Is there a way to create e.g. a VST directly from the Module Designer and avoid the need to have the user load Voltage Modular?

It would be an easy way to expand the market for our products without porting to JUCE or another framework. I am thinking of an architecture where the core VM engine is embedded in the VST.
Centripidity

Re: Creating VSTs from VM Designer

Post by Centripidity »

Not exactly what you're talking about but probably worth a mention. Before I started with VM, I was writing VST's in Blue Cat's Plug'n Script.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... ugNScript/

It's a similar environment to VM and uses a C++-like scripting language which is very easy to translate into C++ to compile for better performance. I originally wrote my Flangulator as a vst/vst3/au/aax that way.

However, it's GUI construction is very cumbersome. It uses an html style text based language that took a lot of work to get my head around.

Return to “Module Designer”