MIDI File Player

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Centripidity

MIDI File Player

Post by Centripidity »

Anyone have any experience with the Cherry Audio MIDI File Player module? I can't get it to load my MIDI file, which loads fine in other players.

I'll log the problem with support but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Steve W

Re: MIDI File Player

Post by Steve W »

I have removed my efforts to help others understand and resolve this issue.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centripidity

Post by Centripidity »

Thanks Steve, I appreciate your taking the time to test this.

I have only tried with a couple of files I exported from Logic so perhaps it inserts something that the CA module doesn't like. I need to do some more experimenting.

I've sent CA support the files that is failing so perhaps they will provide some insight.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have removed my efforts to help others understand and resolve this issue.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Perhaps you could post/attach one of the MIDI files that won't load for you to this thread then we could try loading it.
Centripidity

Post by Centripidity »

Steve W wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:47 am When I booted VM, the patch was there, so I tried a few more and they also worked. As I understand it, Logic is an Apple program. If so, that might be important. Does Apple use .mid as the file extension? I seem to remember something about Apple using a different extension. Not sure if they use a proprietary format. Or as you suggest, maybe Apple (or Logic) adds some additional information. In any case, I suspect CA support can figure out what the issue is. Midi is pretty straight. Or I should say, it used to be. ;-)
I have some stand-alone MIDI players and they load these file but not the VM MIDI File Player.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Possibly a conflict between Type 0 and Type 1 MIDI files? Is VM's player maybe limited to one or the other? Logic normally outputs Type 1 unless you're exporting a single clip.
Centripidity

Post by Centripidity »

ColinP wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:02 pm Perhaps you could post/attach one of the MIDI files that won't load for you to this thread then we could try loading it.
A good point Colin. I did that for the support request I lodged but it would be helpful if people here are willing to try one of my files. I'm currently writing a MIDI file player just to see if I can overcome this problem but it would be nice if I didn't have to. I'd be particularly interested to hear from Windows users just to see if they have the same issue. About 30 years ago I set an assignment for C programming students to read a MIDI file and one of the first problems they encountered, which I hadn't anticipated, is that the MIDI File Spec is sensitive to the old big-endian/little endian issue. I've been out of touch with most of this for a couple of decades but Is that still a thing?

One of the problem files is here:

http://vm.centripidity.com/misc/Format% ... 20Demo.mid

If anyone manages to get it to play, here's an idea of what it should sound like.

https://youtu.be/dFsn-6gr42w

Thanks,
Peter
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Hi Peter,

Could you attach that MIDI file using the forum's Add File function rather than it being a weblink.

On the endian thing the only MIDI file reading and writing I've done recently used javax.sound.midi classes and I think they mask all the low-end detail. I only used it for saving templates in Groove and it works fine on Windows and didn't produce any bug reports on Mac but almost nobody uses Groove templates so that's not 100% confirmation.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Centripidity wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:05 pm

One of the problem files is here:

http://vm.centripidity.com/misc/Format% ... 20Demo.mid

It wouldn't load in VM for me either, but it did open in Logic. I saved it out of Logic as Type 1, which loaded properly in VM and played back all the parts. Now I'm going to set up a multi channel split.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 9.43.07 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 9.43.07 AM.jpg (319.85 KiB) Viewed 1938 times

Return to “Voltage Modular”