Another Feature request

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
SA2K

Another Feature request

Post by SA2K »

I am loving Voltage Modular and have another great feature request. Soon or when computer processors are more powerful it think the developers should add multi timbral slots to Voltage. Imagine having 2 or 4 slots so you can work on for instance a bass a lead a sequence and a pad all at once. Much needed feature and Dev's please confirm you received my scale/zoom individual module feature request.
utdgrant

Re: Another Feature request

Post by utdgrant »

I might be missing something...

Can't you do this already by having multiple instances of VM running as VST plug-ins under one DAW?

Similarly, you can have multiple 'instruments' within one patch in the existing VM. Place each 'instrument' in a separate cabinet for greater clarity.

Post by huggermugger »

VM can easily do a multitimbral patch. There are four instruments in this patch, a sequenced synth ostinato layered with a VST synth in the first cabinet, a sequenced bassline and a live performance polyphonic pad in the second cabinet, and a drum machine in the third cabinet. A master clock/transport control and separate audio outputs too (assuming the audio interface you're using can accommodate). This patch barely touches the DSP on my 6-core iMac.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 9.21.53 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 9.21.53 AM.jpg (681.26 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
Last edited by huggermugger on Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

SA2K wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:48 am . . . the developers should add multi timbral slots to Voltage. Imagine having 2 or 4 slots so you can work on for instance a bass a lead a sequence and a pad all at once.
utdgrant wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:51 am Can't you do this already by having multiple instances of VM running as VST plug-ins under one DAW?

Similarly, you can have multiple 'instruments' within one patch in the existing VM. Place each 'instrument' in a separate cabinet for greater clarity.
huggermugger wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:28 pm VM can easily do a multitimbral patch.
As others have noted, VM users can already create multi-timbral patches. One of the first things I started doing with VM (after listening to factory presets) was to create multi-channel, multi-timbral patches. That being said, maybe you mean something different by slots? Maybe you are thinking of cabinets? If you want you can set up your patch to have a bass on midi channel 1 in cabinet one, a pad on midi channel 2 in cabinet 2 . . . . You can even save cabinets and name them (MyBass, MyPad . . .).

If you can't figure out how to do it, feel free to start a new topic--like "Ideas for creating multi-timbral patches in VM."
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

You can also run virtual copies of VM within VM. I don't see any need for the slots you describe.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

The only place I see "slots" used in the VM manual is in connection with automation/CC parameters. Maybe the request is for multi-channel slots instead of global slots. Who knows.

If so, there are already ways midi can be channelized so CCs can affect different sound production modules/chains.

For example, I have used Waverley Instruments' MIDISPLITCH as well as Cherry Audio's MIDI CHANNEL FILTER (among a few others).
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

Ok. I see that you've all now convinced me Cherry doesn't need multi slots with how it works. I was aware you could do multiple instances of the plugin and also internal patches but I just got pretty much a weak idea for my new idea. I still need offline licensing that can be activated offline for all owned modules because I figure for the type of investment people like me make in Voltage Modular modules that one would want long term use of the app/plugin after Cherry Audio folds some day.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

SA2K wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:17 am I still need offline licensing that can be activated offline for all owned modules because I figure for the type of investment people like me make in Voltage Modular modules that one would want long term use of the app/plugin after Cherry Audio folds some day.
That's still a worry for me, too. :?

Here is SA2K's original thread about this topic.

Post by ColinP »

Here's my opinion on authorisation.

The so-called offline authorization for Ableton Live isn't really offline. It's merely a means of doing an online authorisation using a computer other than the one you have Live installed on. It still requires you to interact with a server being run by Ableton.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ve-Offline

If that server doesn't respond because the company no longer exists then you are stuffed when you need to re-install on a new machine. So exactly the same situation as with CA's software.

The problem is that offline authorisation is easy to bypass. Whilst software that occasionally touches base with a server can still be hacked it has a fightling chance of supporting an income stream.

The most likely casue of CA going out of business would be if their products were very vulnerable to attack as they would no longer be a viable company. Therefore paradoxically online authorisation can help protect end user's investment (unless all you want is a frozen environment that will become obsolete after a few years).

The only alternative is open-source which of course has its place but there's a limit to what developers earning nothing can achieve when they have bills to pay just like everyone else.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

ColinP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:47 am Here's my opinion on authorisation.

The so-called offline authorization for Ableton Live isn't really offline. It's merely a means of doing an online authorisation using a computer other than the one you have Live installed on. It still requires you to interact with a server being run by Ableton.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ve-Offline

If that server doesn't respond because the company no longer exists then you are stuffed when you need to re-install on a new machine. So exactly the same situation as with CA's software.

The problem is that offline authorisation is easy to bypass. Whilst software that occasionally touches base with a server can still be hacked it has a fightling chance of supporting an income stream.

The most likely casue of CA going out of business would be if their products were very vulnerable to attack as they would no longer be a viable company. Therefore paradoxically online authorisation can help protect end user's investment (unless all you want is a frozen environment that will become obsolete after a few years).

The only alternative is open-source which of course has its place but there's a limit to what developers earning nothing can achieve when they have bills to pay just like everyone else.
Well right on the cusp of when Cherry Audio plans to fold they should release some offline licensing capacity that doesn't require online access when re-installing everything. They can do something like let you download a license for each individual module you own based on purchase records. I have no idea when Cherry will close but I intend to buy more rack units and I already spent a bit over a good bit over a thousand on them. Love the analog stuff in it, the full range of Clavia Nord Modular surpassing modules and the interface is beyond most others with every feature an interface could ever neat. The app also runs real good and it even has favoriting and a great forum. There are SO many modules on Cherry.

Return to “Voltage Modular”