Polyphonic Pressure Generator

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
EricP1954

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by EricP1954 »

The upshot to this whole thread is that the DAW I use (Cakewalk) doesn't play as nicely as others like Cubase for sending midi messages. I sent emails to both PPG expert, Tim Shoebridge (who DID cover the instructions for getting midi-out in Cubase). I also sent an email to Mike from Creative Sauce but he is in the middle of a move. I was ready to keep hitting my head against the wall, when my stubborn persistence finally paid off. In Cakewalk, the easiest way is to create a separate empty midi track, and the midi output option comes alive in Cakewalk for Voltage Modular, it then becomes easy to set the Cakewalk channel input for the the GX-80 track to Voltage Modular.

Accomplishing cool things in Voltage Modular, Cakewalk and on the GX-80 is definitely a rewarding experience!
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Attempt at helping to understand and resolve the issue removed.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

Steve W wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:40 pm
EricP1954 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:57 am The upshot to this whole thread is that the DAW I use (Cakewalk) doesn't play as nicely as others like Cubase for sending midi messages.
I haven't found this to be the case, but it might be because Cakewalk does have a bit of a learning curve in part due to its flexibility. Also, I think if you are used to using Cakewalk with hardware (such as synths and synth modules), it is quite different working with software synths. At least this has been my experience.
EricP1954 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:57 am In Cakewalk, the easiest way is to create a separate empty midi track, and the midi output option comes alive in Cakewalk for Voltage Modular, it then becomes easy to set the Cakewalk channel input for the the GX-80 track to Voltage Modular.

Accomplishing cool things in Voltage Modular, Cakewalk and on the GX-80 is definitely a rewarding experience!
Hmmmm. Instead of creating a separate empty midi track, I split the instrument track. Maybe that made a difference. Very glad you got the set up sorted out!
Steve W wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:08 pm 1. For bookkeeping purposes, insert VM in a folder. (I call mine VM Control).
2. Split the track so the instrument track and midi track are separated*.
Optional: Mute the VM Instrument Track.
3. Point the VM Midi Track to the GX-80 (output track control)
*When I get a chance, I will compare what I did with not splitting the instrument track, though I recall I first tried not splitting the track and it didn't work. That's why I split it. Possibly we essentially did the same thing, just in a different order.
Hey Steve, do you have OBS or similar software for creating a video of your steps of this process? You can upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo (I do these things as "unlisted" videos) and post the link to the video here. Your way actually sounds more elegant than mine.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Attempt at helping to understand and resolve the issue removed.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

Steve W wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:39 pm
EricP1954 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:32 am Hey Steve, do you have OBS or similar software for creating a video of your steps of this process? You can upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo (I do these things as "unlisted" videos) and post the link to the video here. Your way actually sounds more elegant than mine.
As a matter of fact I just installed the latest version of OBS on my current PC. I need to set up scenes and sources, figure out how to edit what I record with sufficient clarity, and get a place to host videos. For the time being I might story board the process and put something together with still shots and text. Super busy now, but I will carve out some time for this. Thanks for the suggestion.
FWIW, I use OBS for screen / audio capture, Kdenlive for editing and YouTube for hosting. I switched to Kdenlive from MS Photos about a year ago, as anything edited in Ms Photos would suffer a significant drop in audio quality.

Return to “Voltage Modular”