Polyphonic Pressure Generator

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Steve W
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by Steve W »

Click on the “To Host” button to route MIDI out from PPG back to your DAW, you would to this to allow PPG to send MIDI messages to a soft synth running as a VST instrument in your DAW project.
Do you have Midi Output Enabled in Cakewalk's Plug-in window for Voltage Modular?

GX-80 Project-Enable MIDI Out-.png
GX-80 Project-Enable MIDI Out-.png (29.01 KiB) Viewed 406 times
EricP1954
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:58 am

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by EricP1954 »

Although I don't have the VST3 button in the same place, it comes up as an option when I first load the synth. Enable midi output is already checked by default and I also checked the Midi Source option.
PPG Setup_2.JPG
PPG Setup_2.JPG (273.34 KiB) Viewed 401 times
I then discovered that I now have the option to designate the GX-80 as the VM output in Cakewalk. Finally getting somewhere! For the GX-80 track, I designated Voltage Modern as the input. I finally have sound!

I alternated playing the setup as I described and then on the GX-80 input, switching the input to just my keyboard and the sound is identical. So the midi is definitely passing through VM on its way to the GX-80, but I am going to need to test some presets that use aftertouch and none are labeled as such, and then re-watch Tim's videos on using the PPG to see if everything is working as planned. What's great about this setup is that I have an old Alesis QS6 with 60 some odd keys, and the keys are pressure sensitive but probably don't have aftertouch, so the PPG would be a godsend for my budget.
User avatar
SpaceDog
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:29 am

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by SpaceDog »

I did ask Tim if he would enable a time-limited demo for the PPG module. He has replied and was perfectly polite; however, he sees the ability to "return" the module via CA as a better way for users to try it out and he won't be enabling a demo period. They're his modules, it's his choice, and I respect that.
Steve W
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by Steve W »

SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:33 pm I did ask Tim if he would enable a time-limited demo for the PPG module. He has replied and was perfectly polite; however, he sees the ability to "return" the module via CA as a better way for users to try it out and he won't be enabling a demo period.
This comment (yours and what you claim Tim said to you) makes no sense to me.

Based on all demos I have had from CA, once the demo has passed the time set by the module manufacturer, those consumers who acquired the demo no longer have access to it. From my experience any presets that used the demo version of any module do not work because the preset no longer has access to the module.

To be blunt, I do not understand how what you said he said differs from what I asked for. I also feel that his refusal to respond to my very polite e-mail in order to be able to help a fellow Voltage Modular user (who as I understand it purchased his module) is contrary to the way all other module makers I have reached out to generally treat consumers.

Under these circumstances, I cannot recommend Voltage Modular users purchase the PPG module.

Caveat emptor!!!!!
SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:33 pm They're his modules, it's his choice . . . .
I agree with this part of your comment. Voltage Modular users and consumers of third party modules have choices. Also, as a community, I believe we have the option to try to help other users and a right and privilege to share what we discover about the modules we try (demos and purchases) for the benefit of other consumers.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
SpaceDog
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:29 am

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by SpaceDog »

Steve W wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:23 pm
This comment (yours and what you claim Tim said to you) makes no sense to me.
[...]
Under these circumstances, I cannot recommend Voltage Modular users purchase the PPG module.

Caveat emptor!!!!!
SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:33 pm They're his modules, it's his choice . . . .
I agree with this part of your comment. Voltage Modular users and consumers of third party modules have choices. Also, as a community, I believe we have the option to try to help other users and a right and privilege to share what we discover about the modules we try (demos and purchases) for the benefit of other consumers.
I don't "claim" that Tim said anything, I simply reported what he did say in his email. I asked him politely if he would enable a time-limited demo for all (not just me), and he politely replied "no", with the reason I said. I'm not looking for a fight, life is way too short; however, sometimes a simple word can carry a lot of baggage and "claim" is one such word. I'm moving on...

Ultimately, every developer decides how to market their modules and they must be happy with that choice. I would definitely demo this one, it looks interesting and I have a feeling that Reaper would behave much better with it, but I won't be able to test that. If it worked, I would buy it. It's not a cheap module, so going in blind and then asking for a refund doesn't fill me with joy.

What we need is a balance to the discussion from someone who bought it and who is very happy with the module, and for whom it is working perfectly. They must exist.
Steve W
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by Steve W »

SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:49 pm
Steve W wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:23 pm
This comment (yours and what you claim Tim said to you) makes no sense to me.
I don't "claim" that Tim said anything, I simply reported what he did say in his email.
SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:33 pm I did ask Tim if he would enable a time-limited demo for the PPG module. He has replied and was perfectly polite; however, he sees the ability to "return" the module via CA as a better way for users to try it out and he won't be enabling a demo period. They're his modules, it's his choice, and I respect that.
If you are nitpicking that I used the word "said" which implies oral communication, so be it. I thought about changing "said" so something else, but I figured my meaning was evident. Clearly it wasn't. Here you go:
This comment (yours and what you claim Tim reported/e-mailed to you) makes no sense to me.

I hope this clarifies what I was "saying" [or if you prefer "what I meant by the words I typed/posted"].
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by Steve W »

SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:49 pm I don't "claim" that Tim said anything, I simply reported what he did say in his email. . . . I'm not looking for a fight, life is way too short; however, sometimes a simple word can carry a lot of baggage and "claim" is one such word.
Sorry, due to the baggage you evidently have with the word "claim" you intentionally chose to make an issue. You seem to have assumed that I did not believe you because I used the word "claim." I did not disbelieve that Tim replied to you. I have no basis to judge whether or not what you reported he replied is what he actually replied. Its as simple as that. I did not intend any confrontation by the words I originally used. I understand that you read into my words a confrontation. I sincerely wish you had not done that.
Steve W
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by Steve W »

SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:49 pm It's not a cheap module, so going in blind and then asking for a refund doesn't fill me with joy.
I also thought about buying the module. I agree it is not a cheap module. However, my sole reason was to be able to help a fellow musician. I have no use for the module. My intent at the time would have been to ask for a refund after I figured out how to make it work successfully.

I didn't feel comfortable doing that (buying with the intent of testing and asking for a refund when I was done testing). So, I thought of trying to get a time-limited demo.

For the record, in my very polite e-mail I called attention to the user issue with a link to the thread saying/writing/typing "Not sure if you are aware of this thread Polyphonic Pressure Generator - Cherry Audio Forums" [<-- link] and politely offered to help.

So far as I can tell he did not reply and did not to extend the courtesy of a demo.

Caveat emptor!
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricP1954
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:58 am

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by EricP1954 »

Steve and SpaceDog, I really appreciate all the time and help you're throwing my way!

I did hear from Tim this morning after sending him an email last night.

He told me that I hadn't set up an envelope trigger in PPG, and after designating touch velocity as the envelope trigger, voila, I finally got aftertouch!

To be more exact - In Cakewalk, I inserted VM into its own track as an instrument track with midi enabled. The trouble is still getting the midi output from VM into a software synth that is set up in a separate track. I've been getting nowhere with this.
.
Last edited by EricP1954 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by Steve W »

Glad Tim replied to your e-mail.
Post Reply

Return to “Voltage Modular”