Voltage Modular Feature Requests

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
utdgrant

Re: Voltage Modular Feature Requests

Post by utdgrant »

Jean d'Oran wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:37 pm I noticed that for all the ADSR modules that I tried, with a long decay and a sustain set very low, 0 to 50% for example, only the VM 2500 envelope generators and the Slap hitting envelope from Vult effectively raise the envelope voltage to 5 Volts if I raise the Sustain value during the game. For all the others, the voltage remains where it was from its decrease when I modify the value of the Sustain. Is this a correctable problem ?
Mark R Barton ("MRB") implements great envelopes (such as the VM 2500 ones you mentioned). My go-to 'analogue-style' envelope is the MRB Velocity Envelope. It behaves exactly like a genuine hardware circuit ADSR / AD / AR. It will react to changing Sustain levels in real-time, even whilst holding a note.
Is this a correctable problem ?
I think it's a very bad idea to permanently modify the behaviour of existing modules, as that could modify the sound / response of existing patches / presets. The correct way to do this (in my opinion) is if you implement a new optional / switchable behaviour. In addition, this setting must always default to the existing behaviour so that it doesn't interfere with previously created patches.

I asked Andrew Macaulay if he would modify the behaviour of two of his envelope generators. His solution was fantastic, exceeding my request in a very creative way. The important thing was that if these modules had been used in patches with the earlier version, then the patches would sound exactly the same when they were recalled with the updated module version.

Post by SA2K »

UPDATED Mar 23rd: Two useful feature choices for the designers to consider should go in feature 37 in the list 1 - Variation to variation morphing similar to the classic preset parameter morphing and 2 - ALTERNATIVELY a performance knob assign "range". Range as in a highlightable range from 1-127 for each particular performance knob assigned control.

One feature or the other is very very useful to further perfect Voltage Modular. Perfect for the future v2.8 maybe. I prefer performance knob range.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

SA2K wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:54 am UPDATED Mar 23rd: Two useful feature choices for the designers to consider should go in feature 37 in the list 1 - Variation to variation morphing similar to the classic preset parameter morphing and 2 - ALTERNATIVELY a performance knob assign "range". Range as in a highlightable range from 1-127 for each particular performance knob assigned control.

One feature or the other is very very useful to further perfect Voltage Modular. Perfect for the future v2.8 maybe. I prefer performance knob range.
You could (and maybe should) make modules to do these kinds of things.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

Steve W wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:13 pm
SA2K wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:54 am UPDATED Mar 23rd: Two useful feature choices for the designers to consider should go in feature 37 in the list 1 - Variation to variation morphing similar to the classic preset parameter morphing and 2 - ALTERNATIVELY a performance knob assign "range". Range as in a highlightable range from 1-127 for each particular performance knob assigned control.

You could (and maybe should) make modules to do these kinds of things.
I think that GusGranite should add variation morphing from any variation to any variation or from 1st to last in order. Alternatively it would be nice for the performance knobs to have multiple parameters controlled within a selected range by holding shift or cmd on mac and dragging to highlight the range. Those are my two new feature requests. I would love to have one feature or the other integrated into the interface.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

Thank you @SA2K - both feature requests have been added.

Just to be clear to anyone new to the thread, this is an unprioritized list of unfiltered feature requests from the Voltage Modular community meant for further discussion and engagement with the Cherry Audio developers. Not everyone agrees with all of the requests (see iLok request lol) but everyone has a voice and hopefully the developers have found some great ideas to take forward for the next version of Voltage Modular.

Maybe 2024 is the year for a significant update! Fingers crossed 🤞
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

GusGranite wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:08 pm Thank you @SA2K - both feature requests have been added.

Just to be clear to anyone new to the thread, this is an unprioritized list of unfiltered feature requests from the Voltage Modular community meant for further discussion and engagement with the Cherry Audio developers. Not everyone agrees with all of the requests (see iLok request lol) but everyone has a voice and hopefully the developers have found some great ideas to take forward for the next version of Voltage Modular.

Maybe 2024 is the year for a significant update! Fingers crossed 🤞
As for the iLok doubt you have I noticed that for a brief period of time the Cherry Audio Rackmode Signal Processers were picked up by Plugin Alliance and then rapidly dropped. I just warn that all the Cherry Audio Voltage Modular and Cherry Audio instrument & effects users won't be able to rely on their tools for fun and business after the eventual close of Cherry Audio if they want reinstalls or fresh os installs on new systems. iLok under Plugin Alliance offers 2 computer licenses that are maintained on the iLok itself instead of the actual online license. It would be wonderful if Plugin Alliance adopted all the Cherry Audio stuff for the longevity of the service & use of the Cherry products.

i'm happy with Cherry Audio as it is with the exception of the cheap module designs that could be reskinned with a global standard skin replacement upgrade on/off option per module & the iLok personally amongst several other feature requests. It really seems like Voltage Modular has it all nearly.
robgray

Post by robgray »

I vote for using iLok (#30) as well.

If I have to travel, do a reinstall, or upgrade, iLok has always proven to be the simplest and the least trouble (for me personally) of all these methods.

Plus I don’t need to rely on companies IT to use the plugin.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

Hopefully we can let the iLok feature request just stand on its own without a big debate. In my experience every thread that debates iLok becomes one big clown show in the end. Same goes for aliasing debates… :)
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Don't think these two ideas have come up yet...

1. When booting VM (including instantiating it in a DAW (in my case Logic), VM often opens with seemingly random display settings (e.g. List View or Icon View in the Library, Performances showing or hiding). I wish it would make up its mind based on a user-defined setting or on 'last used'.

2. I wish VM would be recognized as a MIDI Output device in a DAW (in Logic, it'd be seen as a MIDI FX device).
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

huggermugger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:07 pm I wish VM would be recognized as a MIDI Output device in a DAW (in Logic, it'd be seen as a MIDI FX device).
If DAWs can send MIDI data to VM, what would having it recognized as a MIDI Output device add that can't be done as is?

Return to “Voltage Modular”