Voltage Modular Feature Requests

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
GusGranite

Re: Voltage Modular Feature Requests

Post by GusGranite »

Macha wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:17 pm For me using 4 behringer bcr controllers the most wanted new implementation in a future update of VM is a visible indication of which knob is tweaked. It is now very had to see.
Ideally the best would be a colored ring around the knob that shows up when tweaking the corresponding mapped knob on my hardware controller.

I notice this is implemented when selecting a module with the cursor…….a thin colred line appears around the module. Please implement this for knobs and buttons as well.
Added
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

SA2K wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:18 pm One of the main things I want if there's a major update for Voltage Modular is a huge update to the weaker module designs by just making a "classic" Cherry skin for each worse design like the core component set. Please add "standard" skinning to the feature request list. The modules that have worse designs are very cheap looking.
Added
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

GusGranite wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:52 pm
UrbanCyborg wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:08 pm I'd like to request some new interface functions in VMD. Specifically, I'd like dialogs that can accept simple user input, like yes\no, or three-choice. I'd also like a version of the existing dialog box that can do some minimal formatting, so that you could make, say, columns, and have some expectation that they'd line up correctly. Some control over the colors and text formatting would be nice, too.

Reid
Added
Can you add my feature request, also? The worst module designs are the level of 80s graphics practically and pretty gaudy.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

SA2K wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:41 pm
GusGranite wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:52 pm
UrbanCyborg wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:08 pm I'd like to request some new interface functions in VMD. Specifically, I'd like dialogs that can accept simple user input, like yes\no, or three-choice. I'd also like a version of the existing dialog box that can do some minimal formatting, so that you could make, say, columns, and have some expectation that they'd line up correctly. Some control over the colors and text formatting would be nice, too.

Reid
Added
Can you add my feature request, also? The worst module designs are the level of 80s graphics practically and pretty gaudy.
Yes, #34
AndyMac

Post by AndyMac »

I agree with 99% of what you have.

The one thing I disagree with is moving to iLok/eLicencer, for the following reasons:
Although I understand where you're coming from about a move to iLok/eLicencer I think would be wrong - firstly don't even consider eLicencer as it is now end of life (Steinberg a no longer developing it and have moved all their software to an Internet based approach) and second, as you need to be on the Internet to get the modules anyway, I'm not sure what benefit not needing Internet to move to a new machine is. And thirdly, these days probably 90%+ of new products use the Internet in some form for product registration, and many who currently use eLicencer/iLok are moving off it, so you're fighting against a the direction of travel for most of the industry.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

AndyMac wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:02 am I agree with 99% of what you have.

The one thing I disagree with is moving to iLok/eLicencer, for the following reasons:
Although I understand where you're coming from about a move to iLok/eLicencer I think would be wrong - firstly don't even consider eLicencer as it is now end of life (Steinberg a no longer developing it and have moved all their software to an Internet based approach) and second, as you need to be on the Internet to get the modules anyway, I'm not sure what benefit not needing Internet to move to a new machine is. And thirdly, these days probably 90%+ of new products use the Internet in some form for product registration, and many who currently use eLicencer/iLok are moving off it, so you're fighting against a the direction of travel for most of the industry.
Agreed.

Offline authentication and caching of modules so that we can continue to use VM in the hope-it-never-happens scenario of Cherry Audio no longer supporting is a better approach IMO.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

GusGranite wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:29 pm Seeing as it is the new year for many of us, it seems like a good time to take stock and, in the spirit of continuous improvement, collect our thoughts about what features might make Voltage Modular even more fun to use.

I am so impressed with what VM can do and with the amazing 3rd party developers who are really making it something special. I would love to see the community grow and I hope that 2023 is a very active year for VM development.

To the Cherry Audio developers, thank you and I hope you like this idea… Please jump in on the feedback if you have the time! If I am able to edit this first post going forward, I will keep adding to a list of unprioritized requests.

1. Collapsible cabinets. Big space saver. .
2. Bus configs saved in Cabinets
3. Collapsible modules. Minimize what you are not working on.
4. Adjustable sample rates
5. Receive midi clock and transport controls
6. Merge patches
7. Cabinets remember remotes
8. CPU Meter per module, see which modules are hogging CPU.
9. Adjustable width blank module, stretch it to fit.
10. Cabinet presets, without affecting the other cabinets
11. Oversampling / anti-aliasing library module
12. Save dialogue that shows the presets list
13. Convert Cables to Bus
14. Show/hide cables by colour
15. Favourites filter in the module library
16. User naming of files created by the VM Recording utility.
17. Hide all cables and connections for developer store screenshots.
18. User nameable categories of favourites
19. Shortcut for the 2x interface zoom option or the focus feature from other CA synths integrated into VM.
20. Additional inputs and outputs.
21. 1U modules.
22. Serge and Buchla modules
23. Ability to sync custom categories to account across platforms
24. Ability to sync custom cabinets across platforms
25. Ability to sync favorites across platforms
26. Sort Manufacturers by A-Z in the module library
27. Right-click > insert module would place a module where you click and space the surrounding modules accordingly
28. Saving preferred patch cable color, patch cable transparency and window zoom between sessions
29. Stop the VM library from scrolling back to the top while syncing and downloading updates. So annoying lol
30. Speed up the VM sync process
31. Filter library by module bundles (such as Nucleus) etc.
32. Duplicate a module for auto-linked stereo pairs
33. Copy paste settings from one module to another
34. Ability to rollback to previous version of module to troubleshoot any update bugs or compatibility issues.
35. 'Sort by module width' option in the library.
36. Include bundle in the ‘Hide Products I Own’ if you own all the modules in the bundle (without actually buying the bundle).
37. Use mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out and the middle mouse button to move on the surface. An option in the settings menu?
38. A 'Recently used' filter in the library
30. iLok or eLicenser support to eliminate the necessity to login to activate when you get a new computer or reinstall your OS.
31. New interface functions in VMD. Dialogs that can accept simple user input, like yes\no, or three-choice.
32. Better formatting options in the VMD dialog boxes. Lined-up columns, colours, etc.
33. Visual feedback on which knobs and buttons are midi controlled.
34. Ability to re-skin modules with a standard skin.

🙏
Add this to the list... A new Mutator function similar to the Nord Modular G2's patch mutator pictured
Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 10.55.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 10.55.11 PM.png (68.51 KiB) Viewed 187047 times
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

SA2K wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:59 am
GusGranite wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:29 pm Seeing as it is the new year for many of us, it seems like a good time to take stock and, in the spirit of continuous improvement, collect our thoughts about what features might make Voltage Modular even more fun to use.

I am so impressed with what VM can do and with the amazing 3rd party developers who are really making it something special. I would love to see the community grow and I hope that 2023 is a very active year for VM development.

To the Cherry Audio developers, thank you and I hope you like this idea… Please jump in on the feedback if you have the time! If I am able to edit this first post going forward, I will keep adding to a list of unprioritized requests.

6. Merge patches
19. Shortcut for the 2x interface zoom option or the focus feature from other CA synths integrated into VM.
21. 1U modules.
27. Right-click > insert module would place a module where you click and space the surrounding modules accordingly
28. Saving preferred patch cable color, patch cable transparency and window zoom between sessions
29. Stop the VM library from scrolling back to the top while syncing and downloading updates. So annoying lol
34. Ability to rollback to previous version of module to troubleshoot any update bugs or compatibility issues.
36. Include bundle in the ‘Hide Products I Own’ if you own all the modules in the bundle (without actually buying the bundle).
37. Use mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out and the middle mouse button to move on the surface. An option in the settings menu?
30. iLok or eLicenser support to eliminate the necessity to login to activate when you get a new computer or reinstall your OS.
31. New interface functions in VMD. Dialogs that can accept simple user input, like yes\no, or three-choice.
32. Better formatting options in the VMD dialog boxes. Lined-up columns, colours, etc.

🙏
Add this to the list... A new Mutator function similar to the Nord Modular G2's patch mutator pictured Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 10.55.11 PM.png
Added
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

6. Merge patches
21. 1U modules.
35. A new Mutator function similar to the Nord Modular G2's patch mutator. Also see Cong Burn VST called Strokes.

🙏
For number 36 please add the feature request of 4 slot multi-timbral support for powerful computers. I want 4 Voltage Modular slot's. For instance you could have a drum sequence in slot 1 and a synth sequence in slot 2 and then a lead in slot 3 and a pad in slot 4.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

SA2K wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:16 am For number 36 please add the feature request of 4 slot multi-timbral support for powerful computers. I want 4 Voltage Modular slot's. For instance you could have a drum sequence in slot 1 and a synth sequence in slot 2 and then a lead in slot 3 and a pad in slot 4.
You can kind-of already do that by using one of the Cherry Audio plug-in host modules (included in VM Core):

Plug-In Host
Mini Plug-In Host

Even if you don't own these modules, I would assume most users would also have access to some form of DAW or host application (such as Cantabile). This would allow you to host multiple instances of VM as a plug-in on separate tracks.

Return to “Voltage Modular”