Voltage Modular Feature Requests

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
huggermugger

Re: Voltage Modular Feature Requests

Post by huggermugger »

Because then I could use VM sequencing and control devices to drive instruments in my DAW.

Reason's Rack Plugin can be used as a MIDI FX in Logic. Here's a generative sequencer called Life running through a note quantizer (Scales&Chords) and out to a Logic instrument. At the same time, the added Pulsar dual LFO is programmed to send MIDI CC changes to the instrument. It'd be a blast to be able to use VM as a MIDI FX - a Turing machine + filter modulation, for example, or Waverley's RANDOM8 clocked by a Euclidean generator.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 10.31.14 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 10.31.14 PM.png (623.23 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Last edited by huggermugger on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dayvyg

Post by dayvyg »

huggermugger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:07 pm Don't think these two ideas have come up yet...

1. When booting VM (including instantiating it in a DAW (in my case Logic), VM often opens with seemingly random display settings (e.g. List View or Icon View in the Library, Performances showing or hiding). I wish it would make up its mind based on a user-defined setting or on 'last used'.
Yes, I definitely agree with this one. In Windows, it always shows the Perform and the Library panes regardless of what I had showing last time I opened the same project. Not a showstopper but annoying.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

huggermugger wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:18 am Because then I could use VM sequencing and control devices to drive instruments in my DAW.

Reason's Rack Plugin can be used as a MIDI FX in Logic. Here's a generative sequencer called Life running through a note quantizer (Scales&Chords) and out to a Logic instrument. At the same time, the added Pulsar dual LFO is programmed to send MIDI CC changes to the instrument. It'd be a blast to be able to use VM as a MIDI FX - a Turing machine + filter modulation, for example, or Waverley's RANDOM8 clocked by a Euclidean generator.
Yes, would love to see MIDI out. I'm surprised its not already on the list. Will add.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

huggermugger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:07 pm Don't think these two ideas have come up yet...

1. When booting VM (including instantiating it in a DAW (in my case Logic), VM often opens with seemingly random display settings (e.g. List View or Icon View in the Library, Performances showing or hiding). I wish it would make up its mind based on a user-defined setting or on 'last used'.

2. I wish VM would be recognized as a MIDI Output device in a DAW (in Logic, it'd be seen as a MIDI FX device).
Requests added.
AndyMac

Post by AndyMac »

I've also pulled together a consolidated lists of issues and feature requests for Voltage Modular and Module Designer from my submissions through the support channel over the last year or so.

Many of these are specific Designer and developer (API) requests and are quite detailed technical and development requests (but with outcomes that would provide enhancements for the user experience in VM), but there are also have some general feature requests which are pretty much covered in the above lists.

I have attached the document that I sent to support (Danny) for anyone interested.
Attachments
VM Consolidated Issues and Requests.zip
(201.3 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

I like VM's very cool cable bus feature. I use a cable bus on the main audio outputs of my patches to make that last pair of cables 'invisible'. I wish VM had an autoload template patch so the busses would automatically be available in a new patch instead of having to create them every time. I can obviously load an autoload preset when I start making a patch, but you know, old guys like me need things to be easy :ugeek:
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 7.20.32 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 7.20.32 PM.png (315.23 KiB) Viewed 208 times
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

AndyMac wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:48 am I've also pulled together a consolidated lists of issues and feature requests for Voltage Modular and Module Designer from my submissions through the support channel over the last year or so.

Many of these are specific Designer and developer (API) requests and are quite detailed technical and development requests (but with outcomes that would provide enhancements for the user experience in VM), but there are also have some general feature requests which are pretty much covered in the above lists.

I have attached the document that I sent to support (Danny) for anyone interested.
Sorry I missed this when you first posted it, Andy! More great info for the developers. Let me know if you want any of these added to the thread list in the original post?
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

huggermugger wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:30 pm I like VM's very cool cable bus feature. I use a cable bus on the main audio outputs of my patches to make that last pair of cables 'invisible'. I wish VM had an autoload template patch so the busses would automatically be available in a new patch instead of having to create them every time. I can obviously load an autoload preset when I start making a patch, but you know, old guys like me need things to be easy :ugeek:
Sorry not sure exactly what you mean with this one? Would you mind explaining so a 5 year old would understand? :mrgreen:
AndyMac

Post by AndyMac »

GusGranite wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:25 am Sorry I missed this when you first posted it, Andy! More great info for the developers. Let me know if you want any of these added to the thread list in the original post?
Not sure if they sit well in this thread, given its focus on the user perspective (which is partly why I just added the document), but happy if you want to do so to make them more visible.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

AndyMac wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:45 am
GusGranite wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:25 am Sorry I missed this when you first posted it, Andy! More great info for the developers. Let me know if you want any of these added to the thread list in the original post?
Not sure if they sit well in this thread, given its focus on the user perspective (which is partly why I just added the document), but happy if you want to do so to make them more visible.
I added the zip file to the list so it doesn't get missed.
Gus

Return to “Voltage Modular”