Voltage Modular Feature Requests

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
SA2K

Re: Voltage Modular Feature Requests

Post by SA2K »

utdgrant wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:35 am
SA2K wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:16 am For number 36 please add the feature request of 4 slot multi-timbral support for powerful computers. I want 4 Voltage Modular slot's. For instance you could have a drum sequence in slot 1 and a synth sequence in slot 2 and then a lead in slot 3 and a pad in slot 4.
You can kind-of already do that by using one of the Cherry Audio plug-in host modules (included in VM Core):

Plug-In Host
Mini Plug-In Host

Even if you don't own these modules, I would assume most users would also have access to some form of DAW or host application (such as Cantabile). This would allow you to host multiple instances of VM as a plug-in on separate tracks.
The concept I had in mind is 4 seperate whole screens with everything laid out on each screen like on classic multi-timbral synths and on the famous Clavia Nord Modular & G2. It's for organizational purposes and easy access *in seperates* because it's annoying to make everything be in 1 window and have to scroll around instead of just selecting a seperate slot.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

SA2K wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:57 am
SA2K wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:16 am For number 36 please add the feature request of 4 slot multi-timbral support for powerful computers. I want 4 Voltage Modular slot's. For instance you could have a drum sequence in slot 1 and a synth sequence in slot 2 and then a lead in slot 3 and a pad in slot 4.
You can kind-of already do that by using one of the Cherry Audio plug-in host modules (included in VM Core):

Plug-In Host
Mini Plug-In Host

Even if you don't own these modules, I would assume most users would also have access to some form of DAW or host application (such as Cantabile). This would allow you to host multiple instances of VM as a plug-in on separate tracks.
The concept I had in mind is 4 seperate whole screens with everything laid out on each screen like on classic multi-timbral synths and on the famous Clavia Nord Modular & G2. It's for organizational purposes and easy access *in seperates* because it's annoying to make everything be in 1 window and have to scroll around instead of just selecting a seperate slot.
Are you only referring to standalone then? So the request is to run multiple standalone instances of VM?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

GusGranite wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:30 pm
Are you only referring to standalone then? So the request is to run multiple standalone instances of VM?
When I'm in meglomaniac mode using multiple screens it would be nice to have multiple VM sub-windows open in large scale projects.

At the moment if you have multiple instances of VM running inside VM (using multiple Plugin Hosts) then when you click on a VIEW EDITOR button on any of the Plugin Host modules you always end up with just one sub-window instead of multiple ones. It would be great if each Plugin Host popped up its own sub-window.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

Plug-In Host
Mini Plug-In Host

No no. 4 part multitimbral works well in 4 tabs on 4 seperate MIDI "channels". A good example of multitimbral synths are Berlin Orchestral Tools SINE Player, Parawave Audio Rapidsynth & UVI Falcon. They have what are known as MIDI channels. The Nord G1 and G2 have what are called Performances. Performances simplify patching so you can do 4 things in one save. It's good! Add it.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

SA2K wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:54 pm No no. 4 part multitimbral works well in 4 tabs on 4 seperate MIDI "channels". A good example of multitimbral synths are Berlin Orchestral Tools SINE Player, Parawave Audio Rapidsynth & UVI Falcon. They have what are known as MIDI channels. The Nord G1 and G2 have what are called Performances. Performances simplify patching so you can do 4 things in one save. It's good! Add it.
I think I understand what you mean but "performances" would be difficult to add to VM and more importantly far more restricted than hosting multiple instances of VM inside VM. When you run mutliple instances of VM inside VM everything is saved in one file but you aren't restricted in the kind of information you can exchange between the parent and child instances, like you would be using performances.

The only major limitiation is that at the moment you can only see one child at a time but this could be fixed with a relatively simple modification.

The other limitation is that you need a beefy computer to run multiple copies of VM and it takes ages to load up but the kind of scenario we are talking about here is that of a very powerful computer with multiple screens attached and waiting a minute or two for a load isn't that much of a hassle when dealing with very large-scale projects.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

ColinP wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:11 pm
SA2K wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:54 pm No no. 4 part multitimbral works well in 4 tabs on 4 seperate MIDI "channels". A good example of multitimbral synths are Berlin Orchestral Tools SINE Player, Parawave Audio Rapidsynth & UVI Falcon. They have what are known as MIDI channels. The Nord G1 and G2 have what are called Performances. Performances simplify patching so you can do 4 things in one save. It's good! Add it.
I think I understand what you mean but "performances" would be difficult to add to VM and more importantly far more restricted than hosting multiple instances of VM inside VM. When you run mutliple instances of VM inside VM everything is saved in one file but you aren't restricted in the kind of information you can exchange between the parent and child instances, like you would be using performances.

The only major limitiation is that at the moment you can only see one child at a time but this could be fixed with a relatively simple modification.

The other limitation is that you need a beefy computer to run multiple copies of VM and it takes ages to load up but the kind of scenario we are talking about here is that of a very powerful computer with multiple screens attached and waiting a minute or two for a load isn't that much of a hassle when dealing with very large-scale projects.
It's just a pleasant idea for Cherry Audio to consider to add if Gus feels like adding the request. I can see that loading 4 slots could be annoying but as an option it really would simplify using VM in ways sometimes to have multi slots like in Omnisphere 2 or the other plugins I mentioned sometimes when desired. Just an idea. I can live with or without it. In my main host called Reason you can't even support multi-timbral but I love other hosts also. Love the app of VM love the plugin. LOVE. Thanks.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

ColinP wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:49 pm When I'm in meglomaniac mode using multiple screens it would be nice to have multiple VM sub-windows open in large scale projects.

At the moment if you have multiple instances of VM running inside VM (using multiple Plugin Hosts) then when you click on a VIEW EDITOR button on any of the Plugin Host modules you always end up with just one sub-window instead of multiple ones. It would be great if each Plugin Host popped up its own sub-window.
Except for one time when there was a glitch (on only one day out of several years of using VM, never to happen ever again), I have also suffered with the problem that I can only have one Plugin Host module UI Editor open at a time. I just assumed it was that way to save CPU resources related to the requirements of displaying and managing a Plugin.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Steve W wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:17 pm I just assumed it was that way to save CPU resources related to the requirements of displaying and managing a Plugin.
Yeah, that may well have been CA's thinking. Running multiple instances of VM inside VM is quite taxing and having more windows open would increase the load considerably. Still it would be a nice mod as I think those users wanting to do this kind of thing would expect it to be expensive and things that might seem a bit silly now will become more practical in the future as people upgrade their computers.
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

SA2K wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:54 pm

No no. 4 part multitimbral works well in 4 tabs on 4 seperate MIDI "channels". A good example of multitimbral synths are Berlin Orchestral Tools SINE Player, Parawave Audio Rapidsynth & UVI Falcon. They have what are known as MIDI channels. The Nord G1 and G2 have what are called Performances. Performances simplify patching so you can do 4 things in one save. It's good! Add it.
Sorry, I got a little busy there.

Added!
Jean d'Oran

Post by Jean d'Oran »

Good evening,

A problem with the sustains, to coorect if possible...

I noticed that for all the ADSR modules that I tried, with a long decay and a sustain set very low, 0 to 50% for example, only the VM 2500 envelope generators and the Slap hitting envelope from Vult effectively raise the envelope voltage to 5 Volts if I raise the Sustain value during the game. For all the others, the voltage remains where it was from its decrease when I modify the value of the Sustain. Is this a correctable problem ?
Have a good saturday !
Jean, from France
Dos never said "excellent command or filename" !

Return to “Voltage Modular”