Voltage Modular Feature Requests

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
ChR_is

Re: Voltage Modular Feature Requests

Post by ChR_is »

tristanshoutsf wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:19 pm - adjustable sample rate. All modules currently run at 48kHz. Perhaps some built-in support (e.g., stock up/down-sampling filters) for internal oversampling as well.
- receive midi clocks + start/stop/continue to drive the transport section in the standalone version.
there are up-/down-sampling filters/oversampling modules in VM already: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/r-oversamplers
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Ditto for me on Grant's suggestions.

In addition, it would be a developer nicety to be able to completely suppress display of cabling and plugs, to make it easier to capture decent pictures for display in the store. As it is, I have to capture any module or bundle twice, once with some cabling present so as to get the module into the state I want for display, then a second time with no cabling, then Photoshop edit to merge portions of the two images. In other words, what I want is to capture a picture of the module or bundle in a functional state, but with no cabling showing.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have withdrawn my friendly suggestion.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChR_is

Post by ChR_is »

a shortcut for the 2x interface zoom option would be cool. or the focus feature from other CA synths integrated into VM.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:38 pm In other words, what I want is to capture a picture of the module or bundle in a functional state, but with no cabling showing.
I take it that turning cable transparency(*) down to zero doesn't quite solve your problem?

(*) Turning opacity down to zero, or transparency to 100%, for the terminally pedantic amongst us. :?

Post by utdgrant »

ChR_is wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:39 pm there are up-/down-sampling filters/oversampling modules in VM already: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/r-oversamplers
Unfortunately, I don't think these would be capable of performing oversampling on (for example) the CA Ladder Filter. (Aliasing can become quite noticeable on that one when you crank up the Saturation knob).

According to your documentation:
"NOTE: due to the nature of this module only modules that do not rely on past values can be oversampled. In practice this means that you can increase the quality of most distortion/saturation modules, but it won't work on filters unfortunately."

Post by ChR_is »

utdgrant wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:40 pm
ChR_is wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:39 pm there are up-/down-sampling filters/oversampling modules in VM already: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/r-oversamplers
Unfortunately, I don't think these would be capable of performing oversampling on (for example) the CA Ladder Filter. (Aliasing can become quite noticeable on that one when you crank up the Saturation knob).

According to your documentation:
"NOTE: due to the nature of this module only modules that do not rely on past values can be oversampled. In practice this means that you can increase the quality of most distortion/saturation modules, but it won't work on filters unfortunately."
true, unfortunately. but global oversampling wouldn't solve that issue neither. modules need to adapt to the samplerate then. if you oversample a filter 2x, its frequency response is effectively halfed. the module needs to adapt to that. since there is no way in the VM api to get the current samplerate dynamically, ALL existing modules by all developers would need to be adapted to a variable samplerate to make it work consistently.

besides oversampling introduces its own issues. mainly latency, which doesn't work well with the 1 operation per sample that VM does. it sounds negligible, but it starts making sense when you think about e.g. a 1 sample long trigger signal in the context of VM.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Grant, no, turning the cable transparency down doesn't entirely solve the problem, because it only hides the cable, but not the plug.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
GusGranite

Post by GusGranite »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:56 pm Grant, no, turning the cable transparency down doesn't entirely solve the problem, because it only hides the cable, but not the plug.

Reid
I am not negating your request (all requests welcomed from my point of view!) but as a workaround could you just select all modules, right click and Disconnect Cables, take your screenshot, then hit undo to reconnect all cables if you want to revert to the working patch? It's possible I am misunderstanding the requirement, however.
Last edited by GusGranite on Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:56 pm Grant, no, turning the cable transparency down doesn't entirely solve the problem, because it only hides the cable, but not the plug.

Reid
If you use mid gray colored cables then the plugs blend in fairly well. Most people aren't going to notice such details. I suspect anyone who does notice will understand why a cable is plugged in.

Return to “Voltage Modular”