CA2600 pulse width for LFO?

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
sekim

CA2600 pulse width for LFO?

Post by sekim »

Please add pulse width to the CA2600 LFO.

Use case: CA2600 to duplicate organ processing for "Won't Get Fooled Again" that can sync to host.

Its easy enough to create a patch for this using the low setting on one of the standard free running oscillators, but no sync to host. You can get it to sync using the LFO, but without the pulse width adjustment it doesn't get the sound.

I had to cobble it together in Voltage using the Synth Voice filter instead, and had to jump thru all sorts of hoops just to get it to sync to host. I'm guessing such a feature would get a lot of use beyond this one case.

That said, here is what it sounds like with organ going thru the Synth Voice filter in Voltage Modular (presumably the same filter code as in the CA2600?), which sounds just fantastic for this application imo:

https://soundcloud.com/user-332340733-6 ... 600-filter
utdgrant

Re: CA2600 pulse width for LFO?

Post by utdgrant »

Is that seriously a cover version using Synth Voice? Ultra-impressive if so! :o

Post by sekim »

utdgrant wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:36 pm Is that seriously a cover version using Synth Voice? Ultra-impressive if so! :o
The "organ" is going thru Synth Voice similar to how the original was a Lowery Berkshire organ played thru an ARP 2600.

The "organ" is actually a combination of a B-3X patch I created, layered with a sine output patch I made for Ultra Analog VA1 which is one octave above B-3X, mixed 50/50. Then run that sound thru a Voltage FX patch I created to come up with the tremolo using SV's adsr and of course the SV filter.

The non-organ parts in the clip are from isolation tracks off You Tube...lol, the ultimate acid test to see if my software concoction is convincing or not.

It would have been a whole lot easier to just do it in CA2600 if the LFO had pulse width or the Lo setting on the main oscillators that do have pulse width, had an option to sync to host/click. I'd use such a feature for a whole lot more than just this one song. I suspect others would find it of value as well.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

sekim wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:17 pm
utdgrant wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:36 pm Is that seriously a cover version using Synth Voice? Ultra-impressive if so! :o
The "organ" is going thru Synth Voice similar to how the original was a Lowery Berkshire organ played thru an ARP 2600.
Pete Townshend used a VCS3 to do the organ processing on WGFA. The Synthi oscillators can be used as LFOs, and have variable pulse width available on oscs 2 & 3. I'm pretty sure he 'only' :lol: had access to an ARP 2500 during the making of Who's Next. The 2600 was introduced on later albums, the guitar processing on the title track of "Who Are You?" being a prime example.

All your experiments in getting that WGFA sound are fantastic. Great job!

(As an aside, I created the Baba O'Lowrey module in order to recreate the Marimba Repeat function of a Lowrey Organ.)

Post by sekim »

utdgrant wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:03 amPete Townshend used a VCS3 to do the url=https://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/lowrey.html]organ processing on WGFA[/url].
I've seen reports of both but since Cherry doesn't make a VCS3 ran with the ARP story, lol. Regardless, any number of ways to arrive at the sound since its just organ into tremolo with very specific parms and filter. But having pulse width on the LFO or sync on the Lo setting of main osc and doing the whole thing in CA2600 would be preferable.

And I know I'd use that feature frequently for all sorts of things.

As for this particular tune, I don't touch covering a song like that with a ten foot pole unless it can be convincing...you can't really flip a song like that and make it your own (at least I can't) so the absolute best one can hope for is "wow, they sound just like the original" and it goes downhill in a hurry from there... Fortunately nice software tools to get there these days though it is still a bit of a challenge for this particular tune since nobody does a Lowery Berkshire VST and using the Hammonds requires layering that doesn't get phasey.

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”