Feature request: additional polyphony values

GX-80 is Cherry Audio's visionary flagship synthesizer that combines the unparalleled sound and features of the fabled GX-1 "Dream Machine"and its renowned descendant the CS-80 to create a powerhouse hybrid.
sekim

Feature request: additional polyphony values

Post by sekim »

No need for additional buttons on the UI but a right click context menu on the 4 or 8 button to set at 5,6,7 would be awesome for cpu management! Perhaps even change the button to show the actual value (i.e. if 8 is clicked and reset to 6 then display 6 in the button). Sines has 5,6,7. Absolutely loving GX-80.
Ade

Re: Feature request: additional polyphony values

Post by Ade »

I’m definitely on board with this. So much so that it might look as if I’ve put you up to this! 🤣🤣
As we would expect, this wonderful instrument takes some muscle to run full on but, in reality, ‘full on’ is not always wanted and can get in the way when releases start building up. So, beyond getting a bigger computer to manage the load, there are creative reasons for specifying the polyphony.

But load sure comes into it. A quad rank sound set to 16 voices can have 64 overlapping releases. You’re going to see any CPU break a little sweat.
The jump from 4 to 8 voices is 16 vs 32 VCOs. A 5 voice 4 rank would be 20. A 6 voice 4 rank 24. That’s a lot less demand and opens creative doors currently out of reach for some systems.

I hope that Cherry are able to offer the same options that we’ve seen on their other synths as it will make a vast difference to the potential of any system.
sekim

Post by sekim »

I get it not wanting to muck up the UI with additional buttons. So maybe the idea of right click on the 4 button and get an option to change the 4 to 5 or 6 would be a very workable solution?
Ade

Post by Ade »

👍🏻👍🏻

Return to “GX-80 Synthesizer”