Bugs?

GX-80 is Cherry Audio's visionary flagship synthesizer that combines the unparalleled sound and features of the fabled GX-1 "Dream Machine"and its renowned descendant the CS-80 to create a powerhouse hybrid.
unfrostedpoptart

Bugs?

Post by unfrostedpoptart »

Hi all.

Great software! I just started going through all of the features and am very impressed. I've had 3 CS80s, a CS60 and have fixed / upgraded about a dozen other CS80s so I know it very well. I almost played a GX1 (it was in the shop for repair) but do know a lot about them. So, between this and being an EE, I'm going to be looking at all the little details.

First issue: Sustain II mode
A) If the release in the Rank settings is zero and a long release is selected in the left-hand-controls (LHC) section, it works as expected. That is, hitting a new key while old notes from keys that were let go and still sounding will be cut off. One of the best features of the CS80! However... if the sound has a long release dialed up from the Rank sliders, Sustain II doesn't cut off old notes. They just ring out like Sustain I. Please fix.

B) Also, on a real CS80 in Sustain II mode, all notes are frozen in pitch when the keys are released. For example, if you set a long sustain in the LHC and also a long Portamento, when you let go of the keys, the pitches will freeze wherever they were in the middle of portamento. Also, any ribbon pitch bend will be frozen too. GX80 appears to freeze the pitch in both Sustain I and II. Please take a look. This is actually (I think) an unintentional side effect of how the S/Hs are controlled in the CS80 and it might be better to not model this accurately.

Finally, the user guide is pretty fantastic but has some issues as well. One is that the Feet explanation would be much better if it listed the musical intervals associated with each footage:

16' -1 octave
8' unison
5 1/3 + fifth
4' +1 octave
3 1/5 +1 octave & third
2 2/7 +1 octave & minor 7th
2 2/3 +1 octave & fifth
2' +2 octave

It would also be great to add the feature of tuning to any interval like most synths can do.

More later!

David
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

Re: Bugs?

Post by cherryaudio Robert »

Thanks, David. I've added the details on the intervals to the user guide as you suggested, and pointed the devs to this thread to investigate your points about Sustain II further.
Robert
--
Robert Saint John, Director of Marketing
Cherry Audio
kpsiegel

Post by kpsiegel »

Just got the GX-80 software and it certainly is a sonic monster. I immediately found a bug/feature missing when running the standalone version under Windows 10. There is no way to set the midi channel. You can select the midi ports which is great but it wants to listen on every midi channel which is definitely not what I want for what I am doing here right now. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

kpsiegel wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:00 am Just got the GX-80 software and it certainly is a sonic monster. I immediately found a bug/feature missing when running the standalone version under Windows 10. There is no way to set the midi channel. You can select the midi ports which is great but it wants to listen on every midi channel which is definitely not what I want for what I am doing here right now. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Hi,

That would be a feature request. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

Hi there!
unfrostedpoptart wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:48 pm First issue: Sustain II mode
A) If the release in the Rank settings is zero and a long release is selected in the left-hand-controls (LHC) section, it works as expected. That is, hitting a new key while old notes from keys that were let go and still sounding will be cut off. One of the best features of the CS80! However... if the sound has a long release dialed up from the Rank sliders, Sustain II doesn't cut off old notes. They just ring out like Sustain I. Please fix.
I was surprised by this, because we spent so much time making sure the Sustain I and Sustain II modes were correct, and at first we had trouble reproducing this issue. It turns out the if Sustain Mode II were selected, the SUST switch was set to ON, and the Sustain Pedal was not pressed, then the notes would not be properly cut off. This has been fixed in the new Build 125 that has been published tonight. Your GX-80 software will automatically update the next time you run it, unless you've turned auto-updating off.
unfrostedpoptart wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:48 pm B) Also, on a real CS80 in Sustain II mode, all notes are frozen in pitch when the keys are released. For example, if you set a long sustain in the LHC and also a long Portamento, when you let go of the keys, the pitches will freeze wherever they were in the middle of portamento. Also, any ribbon pitch bend will be frozen too. GX80 appears to freeze the pitch in both Sustain I and II. Please take a look. This is actually (I think) an unintentional side effect of how the S/Hs are controlled in the CS80 and it might be better to not model this accurately.
We double-checked all of this behavior and it's all working correctly. In Sustain I mode, the pitch is frozen as the keys are released, and the ribbon no longer has any effect on the pitch of sustaining notes as they fade out. In Sustain II mode, the ribbon affects all notes including sustaining notes that are fading out. This perfectly matches the hardware. We didn't change any of this behavior in Build 125 because it was already functioning properly, so please let us know if you find any situation that does not appear to work correctly.

Thank you for reporting the Sustain II issue! We appreciate and share your dedication to accuracy!

All the best,
- Dan @ Cherry Audio
GalbE

Post by GalbE »

GX-80 doesn't repond to MIDI program Change, although the option is active in Settings.
Win10, Reaper 5 (other VST's do respond on the same system)
[GalbE]
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

GalbE wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:57 pm GX-80 doesn't repond to MIDI program Change, although the option is active in Settings.
Win10, Reaper 5 (other VST's do respond on the same system)
If you are using the vst3 version, try the dll version. I have noticed this kind of issue with a different DAW with many vst3s, but when I use the dll, program changes tend to work.

I just did a test and confirmed this on my PC (Windows 10 Pro). Program Changes do not get sent to the VST3 version of GX-80 (like many other VSTs); Program Changes do get sent to the VST2 version (like many other VSTs).
GalbE

Post by GalbE »

If you are using the vst3 version, try the dll version. I have noticed this kind of issue with a different DAW with many vst3s, but when I use the dll, program changes tend to work.

I just did a test and confirmed this on my PC (Windows 10 Pro). Program Changes do not get sent to the VST3 version of GX-80 (like many other VSTs); Program Changes do get sent to the VST2 version (like many other VSTs).
Thanks, that seems to work!
While experimenting I discovered another issue with the stand alone version. When the setting "Ask to save modified presets" is active, the dialog appears with every program change sent, even when there's nothing edited.
[GalbE]
GalbE

Post by GalbE »

This is a feature request, not a bug:
It would be great if the interface could be panned with the mouse dragging when in Focus mode. E.g. while holding Alt (Windows). Like canvas panning in many graphic programs. It would be more convenient than using the scroll bars.
[GalbE]
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

GalbE wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:36 am It would be great if the interface could be panned with the mouse dragging when in Focus mode. E.g. while holding Alt (Windows).
I use Windows. Shift+Mouse Scroll moves the UI left and right.

Return to “GX-80 Synthesizer”