Feature Request: Ribbon Control/Mapping Options

GX-80 is Cherry Audio's visionary flagship synthesizer that combines the unparalleled sound and features of the fabled GX-1 "Dream Machine"and its renowned descendant the CS-80 to create a powerhouse hybrid.
Solovox

Feature Request: Ribbon Control/Mapping Options

Post by Solovox »

Loving the GX-80 so far! One slight disappointment however as I turned on my Andromeda A6 to use the ribbon controller and see that I cannot use the midi learn function on the ribbon? Sure, I could reprogram the A6 to send pitch, but it would be a huge bonus to allow any CC to be mapped to this. And even more important, instead of being forced to be only pitch, can you add a right-click feature to any knob or fader that can latch that parameter to the ribbon? Ring modulation, effects, filters, etc. Would be incredible. Thanks again for all your hard work--you guys are the bomb diggety.
kpsiegel

Re: Feature Request: Ribbon Control/Mapping Options

Post by kpsiegel »

Agree 100% with this! I am controlling this with a Solaris and the ribbon is ideal for mapping right to the GX-80. i want to midi learn this.
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Ribbon Control/Mapping Options

Post by cherryaudio Robert »

The request is noted, and the idea of routing it to other modulations is interesting. However, the ribbon on the GX-80 is a virtual control that is intended to be clicked. It is modeled to do precisely what the CS-80 ribbon does, control pitch in the same fashion with its origin where you click. There is no fixed center.

"Pitch Bend" is not a CC in MIDI; it is its own type of high-resolution MIDI message and is attached to pitch wheels/strips on keyboards/controllers. The GX-80, for instance, responds to pitch strips on controllers because those touch strips send specific MIDI pitch bend data, not CC.

Adding CC mapping to the ribbon in GX-80 will not produce results that match the behavior of a CS-80 ribbon, as a CC message cannot convey where you tapped or provide data at a high enough resolution for smooth pitch bending. Pitch bend data resolution in MIDI is 16,384 steps. CC data is only 128 steps.

So if you have the option of configuring a synth or controller ribbon to specifically send pitch data, you will get results that match that of the CS-80. At this time, that's the only advice we can offer.
Robert
--
Robert Saint John, Director of Marketing
Cherry Audio

Return to “GX-80 Synthesizer”