Fantastic VI

GX-80 is Cherry Audio's visionary flagship synthesizer that combines the unparalleled sound and features of the fabled GX-1 "Dream Machine"and its renowned descendant the CS-80 to create a powerhouse hybrid.
DonnieAlan

Fantastic VI

Post by DonnieAlan »

I don't know how you guys at CA do it! There must be magic involved! The new GX-80 is dynamite. I had a blast running through sounds and just playing with it last night when I picked it up. This VI will quickly become a staple in my projects. Very well done! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
RobV

Re: Fantastic VI

Post by RobV »

Hands down Cherry Audio is the best. They've been producing killer VI synths for amazing prices for awhile then they come out with the OB Eight Voice and now this - my two dream synths both in the same year. I swear CA is trying to bankrupt me (and I thank them for it.) :D
hexfix93

Post by hexfix93 »

Bankrupt over 59, and 39 dollar synths? LOL ahahahaahahahaahahahah
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

Quick question - How do I download the artist preset banks? (Hint - I'm dying for the Emo GX-1 presets from Fanfare and the Jean Paul Jones presets from All My Love)
loony tunes

Post by loony tunes »

I too would love some Vangelis and Emerson voices banks, hopefully one day soon!
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

There are already some in the included presets, although they can be hard to spot. You should start by looking for joke preset names that refer to Vangelis or Emerson, or things related to them, like references to things in Blade Runner, or to songs or albums. As one example, the very first preset (with all presets selected) is clearly a Vangelis reference; give it a listen, playing long held bass tones and slowly moving two-note chords in the treble, and I think you'll get the idea.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
loony tunes

Post by loony tunes »

Thanks Reid, yes found a few, I have managed to almost recreate my fav Emerson brass tone (think pirates if you know that) but really struggling to get the deep wacky vibrato (maybe sub oscillator) effect used at the end of the intro 0.39 on this video for example, anyone got any tips?

https://youtu.be/bWszM3-C4gM

Want to trigger it with aftertouch if possible, or map a controller if necessary, haven't enjoyed a vst this much in years, GX-1 has always been my dream vst
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

Yes, I forgot to thank you also, Reid. Appreciated that and think I found a couple of my favorites:

Baked Alaska - U.K., intro to Alaska, drone plus horns
Alaska 2 - U.K. intro to Alaska, drone plus chords at latter section of intro

I'm still running through the presets and hope to make some notes on the various ELP Fanfare and Pirates patches

Looney Tunes, I wished I had taken notes, last night I found a GX preset that oscillated when you pushed the mod wheel, very similar to the effect in Pirates. It didn't quite reach the same speed as in the studio recording but it is there, and perhaps the max speed can be adjusted with the control interface to get that flutter. It might be able to use more depth as well.

Would you be open to posting the preset names of the ELP patches?
loony tunes

Post by loony tunes »

Hi Epic, yes will post some tomorrow that I have found, also I will see if I can find a way to get the emo brass patch I have made online for you to try or screenshot the settings, I took one of the I think gx brass presets and tweaked the portmento and performance controls and its I would say 90% there to get the sound of the gx in pirates and fanfare as in the Montreal 77 concert, but as I said cannot quite get the wacky modulation flutter effect right, as you advised I will browse more presets until I find something with a similar effect then copy the modulation settings perhaps.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Well, I probably haven't spotted them all yet, as I'm still working my way through the factory patches. However, here's a partial list of what I've found so far:

Vangelis:
0 Blade
A Voight-Kampff Test
A New Life Awaits You
Andromeda Cluster
Cats Eye Nebula
Chariots Brass
Chariots Split
CS Through Your Eyes
Enhance 15 to 23
Final Approach
Final Escape
Flying Cars
I've Seen Things
In Rachael's Eyes
In the Running
J.F. Sebastian
Mr. V's Lead
Pyramids Brass
Roy Batty's Revenge
Run Zhora Run
Sand Out of the Hourglass
Sleep Not Android Sheep
Tears in Rain
The Replicant's Dream
The Runners
Title Credits
Titles: Chapter One
Vangelis Quartet
Vangelis Sweet Pad
Zhora's Demise

Emerson:
Fanfare Bass
Fanfare Brass
Fanfare Comp
Fanfare Sweep
Myster E
Welcome Back Again

Blade Runner 2049: (not sure if Vangelis had anything to do with this)
Bellagio 2044
Do You Believe His Story

Jean Michel Jarre:
O2 Machine

I'm not 100% sure of all of them, and equally, I'm pretty sure I missed some.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “GX-80 Synthesizer”