CA2600 clicking sound

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
UrbanCyborg

Re: CA2600 clicking sound

Post by UrbanCyborg »

One point I missed in earlier posts, and that I don't get: what are you referring to when you mention "drawbars?" The slider controls on the CA2600, or hardware controls of some sort? If you mean hardware sliders, I'd sure suspect them, since that kind of control is notorious for introducing spurious crackle. However, taking into account the crackling you get when testing your Windows drivers, I really suspect the problem lies in the drivers, and not the synth. For what it's worth, I just romped through the Echo-Man patch again, trying different things, and rearranging the echo patching in the bottom half of the synth. Still nothing. I also tried switching through all the different Windows drivers I have; still no joy.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:05 am One point I missed in earlier posts, and that I don't get: what are you referring to when you mention "drawbars?" The slider controls on the CA2600, or hardware controls of some sort?
Yearofthegoat wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:52 pm I've since noticed that the Drawbar presets do a very similar thing, but with them I can reduce it by raising the attack and release a little, although it changes the sound somewhat.
Steve W wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:36 pm With Drawbar 1 and 2 I do get a clipping-like sound with rapidly played keypresses on different notes.

For drawbar sounds, I wouldn't use the CA 26000.
Steve W wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:42 pm I also get a click when I rapidly the test button, but it sounds very different from the Echo-Man and Drawbar patches to my ear (other than being a very short sound). Nothing weird about it to me.
Drawbar 1 & 2 (aka the Drawbars) = Drawbar Patches/Presets which are intended to sound like so-called Drawbar Organs, including the very brief click sound when a key is depressed.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

My duh. I didn't realize there were patches by that name. To quote Emily Litella, "Never mind." :)

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Yearofthegoat

Post by Yearofthegoat »

I genuinely wish I'd never raised it now. It does seem that it's a) intentional and b) not a big deal in the scheme of things if it isn't.

I still love the CA2600 and it has now been joined by Elka-X, Dreamsynth, Memorymode, DCO106, Sines and the Surrealistic free one.

And I'm trying to sneak-purchaseGX80 without the domestic finance committee noticing. (Maybe I should consult that FTX guy... oh, no, he's in prison.)
sekim

Post by sekim »

Yearofthegoat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:18 pmI'm trying to sneak-purchaseGX80 without the domestic finance committee noticing.
GX-80 is awesome! Maybe take the "It's easier easier ask for forgiveness than ask for permission" approach? :D
Yearofthegoat

Post by Yearofthegoat »

sekim wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:24 pm
Yearofthegoat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:18 pmI'm trying to sneak-purchaseGX80 without the domestic finance committee noticing.
GX-80 is awesome! Maybe take the "It's easier easier ask for forgiveness than ask for permission" approach? :D
I think I've used all my free passes in that respect!

But! Christmas list to the rescue!

Cheers Santa (fingers crossed)
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Yearofthegoat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:18 pm I genuinely wish I'd never raised it now. It does seem that it's a) intentional and b) not a big deal in the scheme of things if it isn't.
Here's my take:
  • You raised an issue that others might have run across and not asked and which others might ask about in the future.
  • I for one (and maybe others) had an excellent opportunity to explore the presets in order to understand what was going on.
  • Others who read the discussion may have learned a few things about sound design and tweaking/customizing factory presets.
As for the "drawbar" misreading, those things happen! I have done that myself in part due to age-related brain decay and in part due to posting before I've had my morning coffee. (I'd like to think its more from the latter.)

Also, take a look at my reply to P.Moon from earlier today re: his discovery of a bug in one of his VM modules that he was surprised no one had mentioned before. I wish I had told him about that over two years ago when I had problems with the module and assumed I was doing something wrong / not understanding how to use the modules.

For these reasons, I think it was good that you raised the issue and you should have no regrets about it.

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”