Factory Presets organization

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
PoorFellow

Factory Presets organization

Post by PoorFellow »

Every time I start Voltage Modular and look in presets menu then I am overwhelmed with how messy it is when I look at collections because of all the 'free' presets I took from store !
So I spent a lot of time trying to organize all the presets in the folder on the hard disk drive (first looking up manufacturer then make folder and then move presets). Then I started Voltage Modular only to find out that it were all back to where it were before I started !.
Having set a custom folder for presets I thought that I should maybe delete all the presets from standard destination also (I only moved them in custom destination folders)
Standard path being : C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Presets
and
Custom path being : E:\Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular
So I deleted everything form standard path presets folder and all the newly re-generated un-wanted from the customs folder, but everything were back in custom folder as soon as I started Voltage Modular again.
Then upon inspection when trying to find cause of this then I see that Voltage Modular also keep a folder : C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Factory Presets

So , my guess is that there is no way of organizing the 'Factory Presets' other than removing them from Voltage Modular however that is done ! (dunno if removing from app or if having to remove from account)
Anyway , my point is that I would like to ask that Cherry Audio developers program Voltage Modular in a way that will allow the setting of a custom destination for each of the 'factory presets'
OR
as I wanted it , moving the Factory Presets presets away from 'root' of main folder and AT LEAST (!!) put all the 'Factory Presets' into a sub-folder of root with manufacturer name !!!
Voltage Modular standard custom path handling of Factory Presets from e.g. 'Dome Music Technologies' are this way :
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Baba O'Lowrey Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Dome Music Technologies Freebie Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Fifth Dimension Phaser Factory Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\RAT Pack Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Solaris Ensemble Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Stringer Seventy Six Presets

And I am asking that standard custom path handling be this way :
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Dome Music Technologies\Baba O'Lowrey Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Dome Music Technologies\Dome Music Technologies Freebie Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Dome Music Technologies\Fifth Dimension Phaser Factory Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Dome Music Technologies\RAT Pack Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Dome Music Technologies\Solaris Ensemble Presets
Cherry Audio\Voltage Modular\Dome Music Technologies\Stringer Seventy Six Presets

By assigning a manufacturer name to Factory Presets presets path both on drive and in Voltage Modular in presets collections browsing then it would be a lot less messy to browse and it should not be a huge task to program such an alteration !

OH ! And P.S.
Maybe it would be a good idea to glue 'User preset' folder link to top of list of <All Collections> (when choosing collections) rather than having to find it at the bottom of a long alphabetical list !!! (of course the such function of gluing to top of list of User Presets folder could be made an optional setting if need be !)
Last edited by PoorFellow on Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Don't bother me ! :!:
Steve W

Re: Factory Presets organization

Post by Steve W »

[Detailed post to be reconstructed and placed here, probably tomorrow. The site logged me out and the entire contents of the post got lost. :( ]

Briefly: I would prefer a system of user definable designations so we can classify any and all presets. [details to be reconstructed and placed here]

Note: Wording changed above.
Last edited by Steve W on Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PoorFellow

Post by PoorFellow »

Steve W wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:52 pm I would prefer a system of user definable categories so we can designate any and all presets.
Completely agree ! (you are preaching to the choir here - or maybe just chiming in) , but please see my post before the OR ! (Ref. : Anyway , my point is that I would like to ask that Cherry Audio developers program Voltage Modular in a way that will allow the setting of a custom destination for each of the 'factory presets' )
What is before the OR is the maybe optimal that you wish for ! , the after the OR is the realistic that you can expect that is (I humbly guess here) probably much easier to implement programming wise.
Steve W wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:52 pm The site logged me out and the entire contents of the post got lost. :(
That is why I , when I remember , use a CTRL A + CTRL C on post text prior to clicking Preview , submit , Send , whatever on web forms . And often I even write in text documents from the start or copy to same before send. Sometimes though the strangest thing lets you recover input by using back in browser , but that most often do not work !
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I was adding to the discussion you addressed but offering a different solution. I had a detailed explanation written up with some examples but the website unlogged me. Sorry. I should have listened to my inner voice that said, "Cut-and-paste this into notepad before something happens." :-(
PoorFellow

Post by PoorFellow »

Steve W wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:21 pm I was adding to the discussion you addressed but offering a different solution. I had a detailed explanation written up with some examples but the website unlogged me. Sorry. I should have listened to my inner voice that said, "Cut-and-paste this into notepad before something happens." :-(
Well , I think they say that 'real men' do not take backups , they cry instead ;)

P.S.
My guess concerning programming is that it would probably be a much easier 'fix' to add a another fixed thing like a manufacturer name sub-directory into the coding than having to write some elaborate code that will allow for a 'total user control' .
Don't get me wrong , I am all for complete control by user , but I just do not think that the programmers have that much excess time to cater for what for the company must seem as a minor issue where as a smaller wish maybe would have a greater chance of getting approved now.
UI (user interface) experience is rather important but still suggestions for minor improvement probably will fly better than a requests for something maybe a whole lot better that would also call for a greater code re-write ! (Not claiming that my guessing about the particular code necessarily is correct , still guessing only )

Return to “Voltage Modular”