CPU Drain

The Cherry Audio Elka-X synthesizer is based upon the legendary Synthex, a rare Italian analog synthesizer designed by Mario Maggi and manufactured by ELKA in the early eighties.
UrbanCyborg

CPU Drain

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Very nice synth, guys. On the down side, it's the first thing you've put out that I couldn't run at 4X oversampling.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

Re: CPU Drain

Post by cherryaudio Robert »

Keep in mind that unless you're in single keyboard mode, Elka-X is:

64 oscillators
64 envelopes
32 filters
4 LFOs
4 sequencer tracks
2 arpeggiators
2 effects engines
1 MASSIVE sound

Some presets are going to be taxing on some systems, especially at 4X oversampling. If your sample rate setting is 48 kHz, and oversampling is set to 4X, internal processing runs at 192 kHz. That's extremely CPU-intensive for all of the above. You may need to bring it down to 3X or 4X. Do you hear a difference? Or if you're working in a DAW where you'll eventually be rendering out, consider working in 2X and exporting at 4X. Check your effects settings on both layers. Effects are expensive.

Yes, Elka-X can be a monster, just like the original. But it's a monster that can be tamed if you're judicious with settings.
Robert
--
Robert Saint John, Director of Marketing
Cherry Audio
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Oh, no question about that. I was just noting that even the Dreamsynth didn't have these CPU demands. My CPU isn't the very hottest out there, but it's no slouch, either, and I have 64Gb of pretty fast system memory, as well. I suppose this was all just me moaning that the Elka-X is the bellwether telling me to get a new unit...and I can't! :cry: :D
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

Update!

Elka-X 1.0.5 build 82 released overnight with improvements to the 12 dB/oct lowpass filter and overall filter DSP efficiency. IOW, sounds better and you should see some significant CPU improvements!
Robert
--
Cherry Audio
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Most kewl! Thanks to the devs! :D
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

Build 84 of Elka-X has just been released. It includes the following changes:
  • Fixed unusual audio bleed-through bug when filter envelope release is longer than VCA release
    Eliminated effects CPU usage when no audio is playing back through the effects
Robert
--
Cherry Audio
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

it seems that 2x oversampling is enough, but still that can kill a CPU. it depends on the system.. and the preset, of course. it holds it, on my desktop...

a request;

online/offline oversampling option, so that you don't have to set it to, for example 4x, when rendering.

a quite normal approach, to have two oversampling options; online/offline, yes i am repeating..

than you can work in 'draft', and choose the setting you want for rendering, and don't have to switch....

a request for all the CA synths of course..

but still a killer synth (i don't mean for the CPU, i my case it can handle it...)!
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

HowlingMod wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:45 pm a request;
online/offline oversampling option, so that you don't have to set it to, for example 4x, when rendering.
Already under consideration!
Robert
--
Cherry Audio
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

cherryaudio Robert wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:12 am
HowlingMod wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:45 pm a request;
Already under consideration!
thanks!!!!!!!
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

Return to “Elka-X Synthesizer”