Module Bypass Functionality

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
utdgrant

Module Bypass Functionality

Post by utdgrant »

Does everyone know that you can bypass a module, even if there isn't a dedicated control on the front panel?
Simply right-click on the panel, and select the 'Bypass Module' option (if it's there - see below).
ModuleBypassFunction.png
ModuleBypassFunction.png (238.54 KiB) Viewed 690 times
The function depends on the developer implementing a module with the Can Be Bypassed option enabled. This brings up the ProcessBypassedSample method, which allows you to pass raw audio directly from input jack(s) through to the output jack(s).
DeveloperBypass.png
DeveloperBypass.png (33.66 KiB) Viewed 690 times
I only learnt about this functionality a couple of weeks ago and I consider myself a bit of a power-user (and a developer! :oops: ).

Re: Module Bypass Functionality

Post by ColinP »

Yup, bypass is a very useful function.

I use it a lot in larger patches to do A/B testing on effects. What I've found is that an effect (say chorus) might have a large impact while building a patch but by the time two or three more layers of sound are added to the mix the effect becomes for all practical purposes inaudible.

So if I can't tell the difference between A and B when I close my eyes then I remove that module. This results in lower CPU usage and less clutter.

I do a similar thing with modulation. If you can't actually hear any difference between having the modulation and not then don't modulate.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Yeah, I've built bypass support into any module I've written for which it makes sense. Only once did I succumb to the temptation to write a dedicated bypass button, and I justified that one to myself on the grounds of being able to turn off a potentially very busy module rapidly.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

A keyboard shortcut to switch bypass on and off for the currently selected module(s) would be handy.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

ColinP: A keyboard shortcut to switch bypass on and off for the currently selected module(s) would be handy.
Agree.
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “Voltage Modular”