Trigger, Timing and Midi Sync

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
dreikelvin

Trigger, Timing and Midi Sync

Post by dreikelvin »

I am not sure if this was asked here before but when I enter "midi sync" or "midi clock" in the search, I get the message that these search terms are too common in this forum :D

I am using Voltage Modular in Cubase 12 on my Mac Studio and I seem to have timing issues when trying to trigger a sequenced/arpeggiated patch from the first note of a sequenced part. Sometimes it triggers too early, other times it triggers a couple milliseconds later - completely bringing the arpeggiated sequence out of sync with the rest of my arrangement.

Is this a known problem with Voltage or are there certain ways to make this more accurate?

In my current patch, I connected Midi From Host to 2 Arpeggiators (Midi in) and the Gate triggers an Amplifier which only sends the clock through when a key is pressed. Clock signal is coming from Transport - Sync Out.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 23.48.38.png
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 23.48.38.png (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1705 times
Aarnville

Re: Trigger, Timing and Midi Sync

Post by Aarnville »

You need to connect the top reset input of the clock divider to the trigger output of the i/o panel.

Also, where is the reset on the Sync Divider coming from?
dreikelvin

Post by dreikelvin »

Woops, that one was by accident. Random cable :P

I put the TRIG from CV Sources into RESET of the sync divider but it doesn't help by much. Still getting random out-of-sync moments.

Here is the updated patch:
Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 13.27.55.png
Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 13.27.55.png (2.64 MiB) Viewed 1678 times
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I don't have a solution, but I remembered having issues playing the CA Arpeggiator module in real time. So I did a super quick visualization of what might be part of the problem. Using ColinP's [Adroit's] CV watcher, I took a screen shot of a played note trigger and two outputs from the Arpeggiator. (See 1st image below.) I also did multiple tests to see if the gap between the incoming trigger and the outgoing CV and gate is inconsistent or perhaps based on an internal clock. (No images.)

As I suspected, the gap varied. Using an external clock and resetting the clock with the trigger seems to get the incoming trigger and outgoing CV and gate to line up and least initially. (See 2nd image below.)
Attachments
VM keyboard trigger v. arpeggiator outputs.png
VM keyboard trigger v. arpeggiator outputs.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
VM keyboard trigger v. arpeggiator outputs-sync.png
VM keyboard trigger v. arpeggiator outputs-sync.png (12.52 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
dreikelvin

Post by dreikelvin »

Thank you for that! I think there is really no other way to get this more accurate then. I can render this track out but that kinda defeats my "live playing" concept here... I'll contact cherryaudio support about this.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Please attach the preset file to your support ticket and describe exactly what is out of sync. Thanks!

Greg
Aarnville

Post by Aarnville »

If you asked me to point to the most likely suspect in the preset I'd be looking at the bit where the clock is turned on and off with the gate to the amp. That gate is not synchronised with the clock so when it fires it might trigger a clock "tick" immediately if the clock happens to be high already or it might have to wait for the next rising edge on the clock.

Post the preset and let us all play with it! :D
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Aarnville wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:31 pm Post the preset and let us all play with it! :D
If you feel comfortable sharing the preset, I wouldn't mind playing with it too, to see what's going on with it.
dreikelvin

Post by dreikelvin »

Allright, problem seems to be solved :)

It seems I was relying on the TRIG module at the top when really I should have just assigned everything to the sequencer play and stop signals. Now everything is perfectly in sync!

On to the next issue... haha
Aarnville

Post by Aarnville »

Excellent, nice one. Every day is a school day...

Return to “Voltage Modular”