Wind sounds like Mutable Instruments Rings?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Demious

Wind sounds like Mutable Instruments Rings?

Post by Demious »

Im pretty new to this and not very familliar with the modules yet, so I hope someone can help me find the right module or combination of.
At a friends place Ive been playing around with the Mutable Instruments Rings and by sending some white noise into it, I got some very nice wind sounds Id like to recreate with my Voltage synth. Is there a Rings-like module for Voltage that can produce similar effects?
Steve W

Re: Wind sounds like Mutable Instruments Rings?

Post by Steve W »

I have seen Mutable Instruments in passing (years ago) and have no idea what Rings does. But, I have it in my head to try to re-create the sound of an old hardware synth from 1988-1991. My first step was to go back to the manual to grab the block diagram. Now I am starting to look for VM modules to start a preliminary model of the synth.

Not sure if anyone has done this kind of thing with Rings.

PS: I just looked up Rings and haven't found either a schematic or a block diagram. The face plate doesn't reveal much that would help re-create it. I did find this statement:
It has to be said, this module is pretty unique, with the closest units with any resemblance being Comb Filter-based designs.
Other than the description here: https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/rings/manual/ I haven't been able to find much info about how Rings works. Good luck with trying to re-create that. I suspect you will have to use your ears. Maybe if you record some samples of the sounds others can help with suggestions.

New: Just found this https://mutable-instruments.net/modules ... en_source/. Not sure it will help you re-create the sound of Rings, though. But, maybe others here can look and make some suggestions.
Demious

Post by Demious »

Indeed, Rings is not very clear showing what is happening inside. Because of that I was hoping there would be a clone for Voltage, like there is for Modular, and avoid taking the difficult way. ;)
Thanks for the links, Steve! I'm gonna have a look and see how far I can get.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

The link Steve W posted has a link within it to the circuit schematic. That not being my strong suit, I'll just stop with pointing that out.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:00 pm The link Steve W posted has a link within it to the circuit schematic. That not being my strong suit, I'll just stop with pointing that out.

Reid
The schematic shows a simple generic DSP board.

The heart being a STM32 - basically a tiny but entire computer using a 32 bit ARM CPU all crammed into a $20 chip.
Then there's a VM8731 stereo codec - this provides 2 ADCs and 2 DACs with supporting filters.
Then there's a couple of MCP6004's - these are quad op-amps wired to buffer the inputs and outputs.

It's a completely general purpose setup that could do all kinds of low to mid strength DSP so the schematic on its own doesn't tell us anything about how Rings works. You'd have to look at the firmware to figure that out.

But it sounds like it's essentially a clever reconfigurable set of filters, so most likely something you could knock up using about a dozen existing VM modules. FIlters aren't my strong suit so maybe someone like Mark can chip in.
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

...and Mark will chip in. Unfortunately the chips haven't come in, so I can't help you.

Just kidding.

You want something like Rings? I posted this a while back: viewtopic.php?t=1100

Also you might want to take a look at the Agile Filter Bank in my Luxury Filter Bundle. Especially listen to "A Study in Pink". It might be what you're after.

--mb
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I think Mark is totally correct in saying that many effects in Rings can be achieved using his excellent filter modules although the MI module still has some rather interesting features in a very easy to use package.

DivKid's video from seven years ago still seems to be the definitive demo.

drohnee

Post by drohnee »

MRBarton wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:06 am Also you might want to take a look at the Agile Filter Bank in my Luxury Filter Bundle. Especially listen to "A Study in Pink". It might be what you're
Hey Mark, I have the Luxury Filter Bundle but I'm having trouble locating "A Study in Pink". Don't see that in the presets or anywhere obvious. Can you provide more guidance as to where to find it?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I don't know if there's a preset but in the Sounds tab on the store page there's "A Study in Pink"...

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/agile-filter-bank
drohnee

Post by drohnee »

ColinP wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:11 pm I don't know if there's a preset but in the Sounds tab on the store page there's "A Study in Pink"...

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/agile-filter-bank
Ah! Thanks, ColinP. I should have looked there.

Return to “Voltage Modular”