Linking C++ Code

ColinP

Re: Linking C++ Code

Post by ColinP »

Many thanks for the references. Although hopefully my return to C++ will be very brief and shallow and not require such extensive info.

On unsigned numbers I haven't had to do any serious bit-fiddling in a long while. I use packed bit sets often but not where I reach the most significant bit.

Back in the 1980s I could do mental arithmetic in binary and hex and even code 6502 and Z80 directly in hex but I'm so rusty now that I forget even basic low level detail but do vaguely remember doing bit inversion and adding one to do two's complement conversion. I'm guessing something this simple is useless for your application of course as simply inverting the sign is not the problem.

My specific worry about using C++ inside VM (apart from efficiency) is dealing with two sets of native compiled code and embedding them inside a VM module and then loading them up as library components in a Mac or PC and gluing everything together. I can't see M1 support being likely.
Aarnville

Post by Aarnville »

ColinP wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:41 pm My specific worry about using C++ inside VM (apart from efficiency) is dealing with two sets of native compiled code and embedding them inside a VM module and then loading them up as library components in a Mac or PC and gluing everything together. I can't see M1 support being likely.
I think you are wise to have that specific worry. Here be dragons for sure, but I'm interested to see if you find a way to slay them, or at least to chase them off to a sufficient distance! :D
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Hi Ian,

Yeah, all kinds of monsters to slay but I've done tons of cross language work in the past so it's not too scary. Plus this is going to be a side project with a fairly long lead time. I'm just interested in reaching out early on to other devs to see what they've managed to do on this front and see if we can share some tips. Also I'm planning on doing a PC only version first to see if it's actually worth continuing.

I'm currently working on customer support, video production, website editing, preparation for SynthFest, pinning down the ever evolving Sowing Machine and thinking about a range of other projects. So this particular idea is not a top priority. I also need to take a holiday at some point as I've been working flat out for a very long time.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Yeah, you have to take time out every so often, as Count Rugen said, "If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything." :D

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I'm trying to organise spending some of winter in Portugal. Designing music software while sitting in the sun listening to the ocean with a cold beer at hand might be just about bearable...
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Sounds nice. Still, I have friends who think it's the height of relaxation to rent a canal boat to travel around parts of the UK. So you're pretty much on vacation all the time, anyway. :D

BTW, even for a small C++ project, the web site I mentioned would be indispensable.

Reid
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Many thanks for the links, Reid.

I bookmarked that C++ site and the Compiler Explorer too.

I spend nearly all my time on the River Ouse near York and in winter it can flood so much that sometimes it becomes impossible to reach dry land for a few days. So winters don't usually feel like a vacation.

However the view out of the windows from the place I moor the most is quite nice at dawn...
dawnathp.png
dawnathp.png (351.23 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

That is nice. York is one of our favorite places to visit, as well. This year, though, starting in around a week, it'll be East Anglia. So we vacation in the place you need a vacation from. :D People from elsewhere sometimes ask us what there is to do and see in Utah, and for the life of me, I really don't know, apart from the two obvious reasons (neither of which apply to me, strangely) anyone would bother to come to Utah. Go figure.

Reid

Return to “Module Designer”