Is midi clock sync output broken on macOS?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
boonier

Is midi clock sync output broken on macOS?

Post by boonier »

I've tried on two different machines, but I get no output when connecting the Sync to midi clock to Midi output. I can confirm on Midi Monitor app that there are no clock messages - other apps sending messages fine. Note on/off messages from VM work fine too.

Is it broken? It must be user error!

VM v2.5.5
boonier

Re: Is midi clock sync output broken on macOS?

Post by boonier »

Ok on further testing, the Sync to midi clock module is working fine - tested by inserting plugin host, hosting Bidule, and using monitoring tools in that.

The issue seems to be Midi Output module. Does it strip midi clock messages?
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have never used the Sync To Midi Clock module before. Just tested what you are doing. Using Andrew Macaulay's midi display module, the midi out of the Sync to Midi Clock module does send start, stop, and clock data within VM. But I cannot get the data to go to an external device using the Midi Out module. (I'm using Windows 10, but that shouldn't matter.)
Last edited by Steve W on Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
boonier

Post by boonier »

Phew, glad it's not just me. Thanks for testing.

This sounds like a bug then?
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

It would certainly bug me! Not sure why it doesn't send midi timing messages or if there's a work around. I couldn't find one. Maybe someone else has a work around or a module that sends out midi data including timing bytes.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I just did a quick test and I seem to have the same problem (WIndows 10).

It looks like CA's MIDI Output module isn't passing on MIDI Clock but I'm almost 100% sure that it used to transmit MIDI Clock as I've had my external kit tempo synced to VM before and I can't think of how I might have achieved that any other way. Ah, perhaps I was syncing VM to external MIDI? But I don't thinks so. But see my comment at the end of this post....

SYNC OUT on the I/O panel is generating clock pulses OK and Sync to MIDI looks OK. Just in case I tried my Song Control module as an alternative MIDI source as that generates MIDI Clock too but that isn't resulting in any MIDI Clock reaching the outside world either.

The MIDI Output module's LED is flashing to indicate it's receiving MIDI Clock messages and it's passing on Note On and Note Off messages but apparently not MIDI Clock.

UPDATE While trying to test further VM mysteriously loaded up an old preset. I thought that was weird but I might have done something myself. I then clicked on NEW and VM crashed and disappeared.

There have been several reports of strange VM behaviour on this forum recently so maybe they are all related?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I just took a peek at the log file and it looks like some code is tripping up trying to do an illegal access on an ArrayList...

15:38:22.822 Voltage Modular is up to date.
15:38:23.086 Show menu under object 2147869368304
15:38:24.634 Exception occurred calling void method.
15:38:24.635 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index -3 out of bounds for length 3
java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.outOfBounds(Preconditions.java:64)
java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.outOfBoundsCheckIndex(Preconditions.java:70)
java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.checkIndex(Preconditions.java:266)
java.base/java.util.Objects.checkIndex(Objects.java:359)
java.base/java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:427)
com.cherryaudio.midioutput.MidiOutput.Notify(Unknown Source)
voltage.core.VoltageComponent.NotifyParent(Unknown Source)
voltage.core.VoltageButton.SetValue(Unknown Source)

I'll email CA and attach the log.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Thanks!

Greg
boonier

Post by boonier »

Hi

I've just tested this on 2.7.0 release and it seems a fix for this didn't make the cut maybe?

cheers
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

boonier wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:31 pm Hi

I've just tested this on 2.7.0 release and it seems a fix for this didn't make the cut maybe?

cheers
Hi,

How are you testing this? Does it happen with standalone? If you're using VST, try it with VST2 instead of VST3.

Greg

Return to “Voltage Modular”