Can we please have some kind of meter?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
ColinP

Re: Can we please have some kind of meter?

Post by ColinP »

Hi Greg,

Thanks and I understand that CA is a small company but buffer underrun metering isn't some whimsical luxury add-on.

It's a bit like expecting people to be happy with a mixer that has no output metering or a car that doesn't have a fuel gauge.

If it was something that third party developers could add then it wouldn't be a problem but only CA can add this functionality.

For hobbyists it's a pain but for professional users it's a critical omission.

Also given that practically every other platform in existence has this essential feature it seems kind of perverse that CA hasn't allocated the small amount of time required.

Sorry to moan so much but I think this is very important and a serious blindspot for CA.
xbitz

Post by xbitz »

+1 to some kind of CPU meter, one single module without any processing(I didn't even start the DAW) able to kill the CPU... so

definitely +1 for this
Nrgzr78

Post by Nrgzr78 »

ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Hi,

As far as I can tell your module provides a measure of overall CPU load, something we can see using generic performance tools.

What we need is a meter that shows the time required to fill the buffer divided by the time required to empty the buffer.

In pseudocode...

t = now()
doProcessing()
display( ( now() - t ) / latency )

There is a correlation between overall CPU load and how close we are to buffer underrun but it's extremely vague as so many factors are involved.

Return to “Voltage Modular”