General Impressions, a couple of questions

Miniverse is a painstaking virtual emulation of the granddaddy of all portable synthesizers.
marzzz

General Impressions, a couple of questions

Post by marzzz »

So I downloaded the demo and was able to do a direct live comparison with my Minimoog D Reissue; I gotta say I was pretty impressed! Just scratching the surface, but switching back-and-forth I was able to match tones pretty closely. Purchased!

So as a Reissue owner, I would love to see the Reissue enhancements implemented in Minimode. Extra LFO, switchable note priority, single vs multi-triggering, route aftertouch to VCO/VCF/VCA, etc.

Question 1- I need to doublecheck, but glide times are not slow enough on higher values as the Reissue?

Question 2- I am using an Electra One https://electra.one MIDI Controller, and have created a working Minimode Preset. Is it possible to assign 14-bit control messages to Minimode? Specifically I would like finer control over Filter Cutoff Frequency, and OSC 2 and 3 Tuning.

Thanks!
Elettrofonico

Re: General Impressions, a couple of questions

Post by Elettrofonico »

+1
:) regarding Extra LFO, switchable note priority, single vs multi-triggering, route aftertouch to VCO/VCF/VCA
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

+1
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

marzzz wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:01 amglide times are not slow enough on higher values as the Reissue?
So I can confirm, setting Glide to maximum and going between lowest F and highest C, gliding down the Minimode is identical to my Reissue, but gliding up Minimode is nearly twice as fast.
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

On an original Mini, the up glide is 60% faster than the down glide. The crazy thing is, it appears to be almost intentional. One resistor value change in the glide circuit would even it up. Dunno why they didn't do it, but that's the way it is, so that's the way Minimode is. Same with the envelope stacking phenomenon. One change of a capacitor value and that weird behavior would be gone, but they didn't do it, so etc. etc. I could fill this page with Mini weirdnesses, but just rest assured they're all modeled. Authenticity ad absurdum, but would you want it any other way?
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I understand the originalism argument. Purists might be up in arms if the software version deviated from the original by more than 1/20th of a percent. Is it possible to have a "Turbo Mode" switch in the settings that in effect swaps some of the simulated components (resistors, capacitors, etc.)? Presets would most likely sound different based on such a mode setting, so perhaps factory Turbo Mode presets could have a "TM-" prefix.

Makes no difference to me. Just wondering out loud.
Last edited by Steve W on Mon May 09, 2022 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

So here's what I'm thinking, total "in my opinion" stuff.

To me, we're getting to the question of whether people just want a cheaper version of the Arturia Mini V, rather than an authentic copy of a Model D, with all of its limitations.

Now, the Arturia has a lot of extras hidden behind its Advanced button. These cover off a lot of the goodies that could be of interest - however, they are not part of the authentic Model D experience. Of course, they are convenient and useful to a lot of people (e.g. effects, modulation and an LFO). There are also other useful addition added in a more subtle fashion (e.g. the bend range and legato switch).

Cherry Audio have been totally up-front that theirs if an authentic Model D (so you won't find any of the extras hidden away).They have also been up-front that any comparisons should be made with a real Model D. I'll declare my interest now - I have none, as I own the Arturia version, the Cherry Audio version, a few free versions, and a Behringer Model D. I don't have a "real" Model D.

What's my point...? Well, if you want the bells and whilstles, buy the Arturia. It's a really nice emulation and has a lot going on. Cherry Audio may fold and implement the extras, but at the moment it's very well-priced emulation of an authentic Model D. You can buy both, of course. I did and I don't regret having either.

You pays your money and you takes your choice :D Simply asking Cherry Audio to produce a cheaper version of something else isn't likely to work as it isn't where their head is, in my opinion, of course.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

MRBarton wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 amOn an original Mini, the up glide is 60% faster than the down glide. The crazy thing is, it appears to be almost intentional. One resistor value change in the glide circuit would even it up. Dunno why they didn't do it, but that's the way it is, so that's the way Minimode is. Same with the envelope stacking phenomenon. One change of a capacitor value and that weird behavior would be gone, but they didn't do it, so etc. etc. I could fill this page with Mini weirdnesses, but just rest assured they're all modeled. Authenticity ad absurdum, but would you want it any other way?
I owned an original Minimoog D back in the day (SN 64##) and I don't remember it exhibiting this behavior- we used to end a song with a cheesy glide up to the high C, and it would take a a nice amount of time to get there. Minimode glides upward way too quickly.

I consider comparisons to other Mini software emulations superfluous- I have a Reissue right here (which sounds pretty much exactly like my OG Mini), and I am able to get remarkably close to it with the Minimode, which to be honest surprised the hell out of me and led me to purchase. Regarding authenticity, again I prefer they implemented the enhancements of the Reissue. I may explore polyphony, but right now I am happy to have "a pair of Minis" to play against each other.

Return to “Miniverse Synthesizer”