what are you creating, just in VM?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
g~tilde

what are you creating, just in VM?

Post by g~tilde »

I have hit an inspirational brick wall with VM. I need someone to help educate me; my own research and reading hasn't turned up what I need. I was hoping to find encouragement by others who use VM in the manner as I am trying to outline below. Perhaps, my approach has been all wrong regarding what I could accomplish with VM, or I maybe I have missed something, which is highly likely...

Don't get me wrong, VM is a great sound source. It's a good playground for building unique synths, creating awesome synth sounds or sound objects to use elsewhere and a great place to learn, explore and experiment. I am just inquisitive how others are applying their craft in this environment.

I'm not looking for how it can be used for making incredible effects, or how to create a new designed synth or sound object to be tracked in your favorite DAW. All of these components are exceptionally useful as part of a bigger picture. I hope this all makes sense. My quest is to learn and get inspired by the potential others have found using VM. Using VM as a whole and in a standalone manner - complete patches or complete pieces if you will, not used only as a piece of a larger project.

I was hoping to find some YouTube examples of composers works or other repositories that are out there, like patch-storage, or anywhere really, and I have not found anything. YouTube offers tutor type examples, but I have not (or simply was blind) to a click/start and the patch plays. I did search through the Board's "Exchange Presets," but this has only led to frustration because I don't own ALL the plugins. Honestly, the patches do nothing when key pieces are missing. I am not seeking presets, but a video w/sound of a performance or screen grabs and the audio...
ColinP

Re: what are you creating, just in VM?

Post by ColinP »

Do you mean something like this?

https://youtu.be/IXxnlfMdvik
g~tilde

Post by g~tilde »

ColinP wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:39 pm Do you mean something like this?

https://youtu.be/IXxnlfMdvik
Yes Colin, exactly, that was what I was meaning - nicely done. That is very cool, it's a great launching point. Tbh, it was extremely nice to not only hear but "see" how modules could work in ones favor. I look forward to hearing and seeing more examples of how the community are exploring the possibilities creating works. . . from minimalistic to complex chaos. Thanks, Colin for sharing . .
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

I put this (YT link) together last night while I was working on tutorial videos for the ACE Collection. It uses four independent square wave LFOs fed into the ACE Min-Max module to generate morphing arpeggios / sequences.

Post by g~tilde »

Nice, thanks utdgrant. It's great to see tutorials of a module collections both seeing and hearing. This helps with users finding and deciding what tools they need to create. I am hoping to see standalone type patches, entire pieces that dive further with permutations, polyrhythms, stochastic algorithm pitch selections . . . or random with weighted probabilities or euclidean sequences, Turing Machine explorations, ambient, generative and so on. A sound, an arpeggiator with a drifting poly-sound is cool ... but using VM alone (possibly loading in a VST for added sound depth, color etc) creating a whole, not just part of a whole.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

There are people who've done exactly what you want on the Cherry Audio Group on FaceBook. Check them out.
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
g~tilde

Post by g~tilde »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:30 am There are people who've done exactly what you want on the Cherry Audio Group on FaceBook. Check them out.
Thanks for information. It shall remain a mystery. Oh well. I am not about to join FB.

I did a search and found the FB group, but alas, you cannot view much without being part of FB. I did notice a couple videos, the ones I saw immediately all pointed back to YT, perhaps I'll investigate my search terms in YT and see if more show up, not holding much hope there. It depends on how the postings were listed. Why there isn't a showcase of works in this forum is beyond me... thanks again, UrbanCyborg
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I avoid FaceBook like the plague.

A few years ago I downloaded the files that FaceBook had uploaded from my computer and was shocked to find that they had been trawling through my filesystem grabbing all manner of private information that had no links whatsoever to my FaceBook usage.

The T&Cs I naively agreed to allowed them to do this but I don't think many people actually realise that using FaceBook is effectively like turning your computer over to professional hackers.
g~tilde

Post by g~tilde »

ColinP wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:43 pm I avoid FaceBook like the plague.

A few years ago I downloaded the files that FaceBook had uploaded from my computer and was shocked to find that they had been trawling through my filesystem grabbing all manner of private information that had no links whatsoever to my FaceBook usage.

The T&Cs I naively agreed to allowed them to do this but I don't think many people actually realise that using FaceBook is effectively like turning your computer over to professional hackers.
Exactly, a brilliant way of putting it. I agree, people just do not understand the level of the hijacking....

....it is a no starter, indeed.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

My case was before GDPR. But people outside of Europe as far as I know still have no legal protection against FB hacking their devices and copying anything they like the look of.

If you are accessing FB on a throw away phone that contains nothing more valuable than photos of cats then it's not a big deal. But using a computer that contains sensitive financial, commercial and personal information to access FB outside of Europe is basically insane.

Even after GDPR I wouldn't touch FB with a bargepole.

Return to “Voltage Modular”