Note priority switch needed

Miniverse is a painstaking virtual emulation of the granddaddy of all portable synthesizers.
Nameerf

Re: Note priority switch needed

Post by Nameerf »

A priority switch hidden somewhere wouldn't hurt but really, low note priority is such a fundamental aspect of the minimoog, I totally agree it should stay the default.
IMO the limitations and design quirks of vintage gear (and accurate emulations) are as important as the sound - they make you play a different way - they make you LEARN how to play them..
guidedbyechoes

Post by guidedbyechoes »

Any follow up to this? I have the Behringer version of the model D that has last note priority option.

I don't understand why people are against the VST having that option as the original does not have a poly mode either. The vst sounds so close that I'm fine with selling my module to buy this. But not having last note is a deal breaker.
CyanideLovesong

Post by CyanideLovesong »

Sorry for bumping an old thread - but until CA adds selectable note priority for synths which don't support it, I found a solution!

There's a VST plugin called "midiPolyphony" by "Piz" which was released free on the internet. It is archived here: https://www.paulcecchettimusic.com/piz- ... oad-links/

Download links are at the bottom of the page, and it includes all of Piz's MIDI vsts... But the one you want is "midiPolyphony"

Put this BEFORE your Cherry Audio plugin. Then put these settings:

Power: On
LowChannel: 1
HighChannel: 1
PolyPerChan: 1 Note
NotePriority: Steal Oldest
Retrigger: On (or Off if you don't want retriggering on release)
InChannel: Any
SustainPedal: Pass Thru
ChanMode: Reuse

Most of those are default - I think the ones I needed to change were Low & High channel to be 1, poly to 1, "steal oldest", and Retrigger On.

The result is every bit as amazing as you would imagine it to be. Miniverse and other Cherry Audio synths stuck with "Note Priority: Now" can now function the way we would expect. So this plugin is the answer, for now.

Please reach out to Cherry Audio support and let them know we need adjustable note priority in ALL their synths. They can default it to the emulated behavior if they want, but it should be adjustable in the settings. They have this setting in Dreamsynth -- we just need it rolled out to all the synths. It's so important.

I find the "Note Priority: Low" settings of Miniverse and Lowdown and any other to make them unusable. When I play it just sounds like timing errors.
sekim

Post by sekim »

CyanideLovesong wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:18 am Download links are at the bottom of the page, and it includes all of Piz's MIDI vsts... But the one you want is "midiPolyphony"

Put this BEFORE your Cherry Audio plugin. Then put these settings:

Power: On
LowChannel: 1
HighChannel: 1
PolyPerChan: 1 Note
NotePriority: Steal Oldest
Retrigger: On (or Off if you don't want retriggering on release)
InChannel: Any
SustainPedal: Pass Thru
ChanMode: Reuse

Most of those are default - I think the ones I needed to change were Low & High channel to be 1, poly to 1, "steal oldest", and Retrigger On.

The result is every bit as amazing as you would imagine it to be. Miniverse and other Cherry Audio synths stuck with "Note Priority: Now" can now function the way we would expect. So this plugin is the answer, for now.
Great find! Thanks for sharing this!

Plugin Guru uses something similar in its UNIFY product to support using eight instances of CA2600 as an eight voice. It actually works well.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

CyanideLovesong wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:18 am
[...]

[...]

I find the "Note Priority: Low" settings of Miniverse and Lowdown and any other to make them unusable. When I play it just sounds like timing errors.
To be fair, the Miniverse functions exactly the way I would expect a MiniMoog to function in terms of note priority, and because of that I can emulate the solo style that I am seeking to copy.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be good to have a switch for those who want other note priorities (rather like CA did with the adjustment on the pitch wheel). My point is that the VST is behaving exactly as I would expect it to behave, so to say that it doesn't behave as such isn't quite true. What you've found looks like an excellent solution. I did manage to use VM as a MIDI processor to change the note priority, I think it's further back in this chain somewhere. Interestingly, it definitely worked, but there was doubt that it did so I moved on and let it drop.

Cloaking Device re-engaged...
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Currently on sale at Audio Deluxe for $29. Almost bought it but then remembered it doesn't have the option for last note priority. At this point it's clear it won't get it either. Shame. I don't think the option would detract from its simplicity at all. I mean when you add polyphony any argument based on 'keeping it authentic' has already been rendered null.

Return to “Miniverse Synthesizer”