Note priority switch needed

Miniverse is a painstaking virtual emulation of the granddaddy of all portable synthesizers.
SpaceDog

Re: Note priority switch needed

Post by SpaceDog »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:06 pm
SpaceDog wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:46 pm Whilst creating a MIDI processing patch in VM, I spotted that the Minimode suddenly became "last note priorty" in monophonic mode....
This should read "polyphonic mode," not monophonic, correct?
No. That patch allows last note priority in single-note mode, i.e. monophonic.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

Here's the (very basic) patch with what I was really doing stripped out. This still works, I just tested it.
Attachments
MiniMode Test Patch.voltagepreset
(5.34 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

SpaceDog wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:17 pm No. That patch allows last note priority in single-note mode, i.e. monophonic.
Hi,

But shouldn't the sentence read "I spotted that the Minimode suddenly became "last note priority" in polyphonic mode....'?

Greg
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:34 pm
SpaceDog wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:17 pm No. That patch allows last note priority in single-note mode, i.e. monophonic.
Hi,

But shouldn't the sentence read "I spotted that the Minimode suddenly became "last note priority" in polyphonic mode....'?

Greg
Unless we have different definitions of "monophnic mode", no. With the "Number of Voices" knob set to "1", my patch makes the MiniMode work in last note priority. I put the VM patch first in my chain in Reaper, with the MiniMode after it.

Now, don't get my wrong here - I didn't want this to happen so I had to find a way around it and still be able to insert some MIDI processing (courtesy of VM). I use low note priority for my soloing style. This was hampering me :D
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I assume low-note priority in monophonic mode means: If you press and hold C3 while portamento is on and then press C1 briefly (and maybe repeatedly), the note will slide down (each time) and then back up to C3, but if you hold C3 down and then press C5 the same way, the held note stays on C3. Is that what low-note priority in monophonic mode means?
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

Steve W wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:09 am I assume low-note priority in monophonic mode means: If you press and hold C3 while portamento is on and then press C1 briefly (and maybe repeatedly), the note will slide down (each time) and then back up to C3, but if you hold C3 down and then press C5 the same way, the held note stays on C3. Is that what low-note priority in monophonic mode means?
Portamento is irrelevant.

If you hold down C3 and play C1, the keyboard will output the voltage for C1. When you release C1 (whilst still holding C3), the keyboard will then output the voltage for C3. If you continue to hold C3 and play C5, the C5 key will not register at all - the keyboard will continue to output the voltage for C3.

Note (ha!) that Minimode (and the hardware Minimoog) will not retrigger the envelopes if you play notes legato, as described above. Only the first key-down on C3 will trigger the envelopes and they will simply drone at the Sustain level until you raise all fingers from the keyboard, at which point it will go into the Release / Second Decay phase.

SpaceDog's trick allows you to play Minimode in "1 voice" mode (i.e. monophonic), but the keyboard will output the most-recently played key, even if that happens to be C5 (whilst holding C3). This is what's known as "last-note priority".

Post by Steve W »

Oh? Actually, my whole example is irrelevant. LOLOLOL.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

Steve W wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:15 pm Oh? Actually, my whole example is irrelevant. LOLOLOL.
OK, fair enough.

If anyone wants to try the patch as a "last note priority maker" in monophonic mode, have a go. If you want the feature, and it works for you, who can complain...? It does work in that way for me, even though I don't really want it :D
Elettrofonico

Post by Elettrofonico »

With an instance of Minimode (in monophonic mode) in the Plugin Host Module of VM (standalone), patching the Midi Out from the CV to Midi module to the Midi In of the Plugin Host Module we have a last note priority and a retrigger for each new note played.
If at this we add a patch from Midi From Host to the MIdi In of the Plugin Host Module, we have a last note priority legato without anv retrigger for each new played note (legato).
(see attached images)
Attachments
Last Note Priority with retrigger.png
Last Note Priority with retrigger.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 5050 times
Last Note Priority with legato.png
Last Note Priority with legato.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5050 times
bhubauer

Post by bhubauer »

I didn't really need *another* Moog plug-in. I have like 4 already. :-). However, I love Cherry Audio and bought it anyway to support them. I also thought "maybe this will be my favorite Moog emulation!". Anyway, not having high, or last note priority is a non-starter for me. Don't give me any "just like the original" crap. :-). The original didn't have polyphony either....

Anyway, I would *love* to use this plugin, but I will not likely ever spend any time with it without high or last note monophonic priority, so I vote plus 1 million on this request.

Kindest regards from a big Cherry Audio fan!
Bill

Return to “Miniverse Synthesizer”