Note played won't stop

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Steve W

Re: Note played won't stop

Post by Steve W »

If you really want to nit pick something, I nominate "GATE" along with "open" and "close" :shock:
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

utdgrant wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:50 am Either that, or create a new 'VCA 101' which just has a uniploar CV attenuator (0-100% +ve only), and which defaults to 100% when you drag it into the rack.

Hell, I might throw that together myself and make it available for free in the VM store. That's if it hasn't already been done by another dev, of course.
The DMT 'Simple Amplifier' is now available FoC in the store.

User Guide.

Post by Steve W »

utdgrant wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:56 pm
utdgrant wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:50 am Either that, or create a new 'VCA 101' which just has a uniploar CV attenuator (0-100% +ve only), and which defaults to 100% when you drag it into the rack.

Hell, I might throw that together myself and make it available for free in the VM store. That's if it hasn't already been done by another dev, of course.
The DMT 'Simple Amplifier' . . . is now available FoC in the store.
Just so you know, I watched the video again and the video shows how the knob works. Also, when the patch is shown with the VCA, the pass-through gain (or CV if you want to call it that) is potted down.

Simple problem and simple solution. No need to rename the knob or to buy another knob.
mojorisin

Post by mojorisin »

Steve W wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:02 pm Just so you know, I watched the video again and the video shows how the knob works. Also, when the patch is shown with the VCA, the pass-through gain (or CV if you want to call it that) is potted down.

Simple problem and simple solution. No need to rename the knob or to buy another knob.
agreed... I apparently didn't watch the video closely enough the 1st time and used the knob incorrectly. It does work just as described in the video.

Apologies if I took this down an unnecessary rabbit hole ;)
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

mojorisin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:14 pm agreed... I apparently didn't watch the video closely enough the 1st time and used the knob incorrectly. It does work just as described in the video.

Don't worry about it at all. The Amplifier module seems to confuse a lot of people. Your post was just the latest one about it.

Given that the very first patch many people will build is an oscillator going through a VCA controlled by an envelope generator the stock VCA should be a little less idiosyncratic than it is.

Grant's done a good job with his free alternative. And as a bonus it works as a proper ring modulator unlike CA's very peculiar attempt at one.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I agree: not an issue that you missed it in the video and asked. I disagree that the pass-through gain/CV knob is confusing. Not your fault at all that others decided to opine. I remembered one other time when someone else had the same issue. When learning something new, I also find that I don't grab all the details on the first pass. On YouTube tutorials I often press pause and many times rewind and replay, too.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

ColinP wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:36 pm
mojorisin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:14 pm agreed... I apparently didn't watch the video closely enough the 1st time and used the knob incorrectly. It does work just as described in the video.

Don't worry about it at all. The Amplifier module seems to confuse a lot of people. Your post was just the latest one about it.

Given that the very first patch many people will build is an oscillator going through a VCA controlled by an envelope generator the stock VCA should be a little less idiosyncratic than it is.

Grant's done a good job with his free alternative. And as a bonus it works as a proper ring modulator unlike CA's very peculiar attempt at one.
The VCA on my SH5 uses the term HOLD instead of GAIN, and it makes sense. Turn it up for a held tone, turn it down to prevent that.
Attachments
SH5-panel-right.jpg
SH5-panel-right.jpg (135.19 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

huggermugger wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:23 am The VCA on my SH5 uses the term HOLD instead of GAIN, and it makes sense. Turn it up for a held tone, turn it down to prevent that.
Yeah--it really depends on what individuals are familiar with. For me "Hold" doesn't connote a sense of variable level/amount. That's probably because I have seen "Hold" and "Latch" used as a two-state concept: on/off. I like "Pass-Thru Amt." but I have never seen anyone use that. I suppose "Fixed Control Voltage" could be called "Hold Level."

I still think the term "Gate" with "open" and "close" is much more worthy of scrutiny.

Return to “Voltage Modular”