Please, make a moog model 55 vst

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
rfj

Please, make a moog model 55 vst

Post by rfj »

Would be great to have a huge Moog System 55 vst with 4x oversampling based on the terrific VM 900 collection.

Don,t you agree?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Please, make a moog model 55 vst

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

A standalone plugin, or modules for Voltage Modular (like VM900)? Probably too much GUI real estate for a standalone plugin, I'm thinking.

Greg
rfj

Post by rfj »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:16 pm Hi,

A standalone plugin, or modules for Voltage Modular (like VM900)? Probably too much GUI real estate for a standalone plugin, I'm thinking.

Greg
In that case, a Model 15 will also be fine……
rfj

Post by rfj »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:16 pm Hi,

Greg
I,m thinking in a self contained modular system similar to Arturia Modular but including the modules used by Moog in their monster System 55. This will make possible having a complete moog modular system emulation vst with oversampling up to 4x.

The coding used in VM 900 collection could be a good starting point for this.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
rfj

Post by rfj »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:16 pm Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
You,re welcome.

Can,t stop using VM 900. It,s SOOOOOOOOOO Fat analog sounding.

I close my eyes and hear Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Steve Roach….

I love Steve Roach Skeleton Keys series of moog step sequencing music and Cherry Audio VM 900 gives the same mesmerizing wash of analog berlin school power 👍

So having a full System 55 vst with up to 4x oversampling will be beyond words….
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

+1 on this one, but please, make it polyphonic!
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

rfj wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:38 pm Would be great to have a huge Moog System 55 vst with 4x oversampling based on the terrific VM 900 collection.

Don,t you agree?
I haven't found VM900 to suffer much from aliasing. Is it a significant problem for you?

I suspect that enhancing the DSP within the existing VM900 modules to accomodate optional oversampling where required would be the best solution. i.e. on a module-by-module basis. For example, there's very little to be gained from having the envelope generator or the 960 sequencer running at higher than 48kHz. So save the oversampling for the important steps in the audio chain, such as oscillators and filters, or anywhere that distortion is introduced, such as the CP3 mixer.

Although the Arturia Modular V sounds great, and looks very good, I find their 'semi-fixed' approach to be an unweildy waste of screen real estate. Much better to be able to pull in modules to cabinets as required, and hide them away in the library when not in use. Some of my patches need 3 or 4 960 sequencers, where others might require two Bode Frequency Shifters. The semi-static configuration of Modular V doesn't accomodate either of those scenarios, and it's incredibly frustrating to me. Or should I say, it WAS frustrating, as I now use VM900 exclusively for Moogular mayhem, and it's a total joy!

TL;DR: In this case, I disagree. But it's just one user's opinion. If CA/MRB think the idea's got legs, then full-steam-ahead!

Post by utdgrant »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:54 pm +1 on this one, but please, make it polyphonic!
Sorry, it's a -1 from me on the polyphonic front. Whenever I've created polyphonic modular patches in the past, the reality has always been a disappointment compared to what I thought I was going to hear. I get much more satisfaction from devices designed to be polyphonic, with a homogeneous multi-voiced architecture built-in from the word go. It makes sound design much more enjoyable.

Again, IMHO, YMMV. Always happy for CA to develop whatever takes their fancy!

Post by rfj »

utdgrant wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:53 pm
rfj wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:38 pm Would be great to have a huge Moog System 55 vst with 4x oversampling based on the terrific VM 900 collection.

Don,t you agree?
I haven't found VM900 to suffer much from aliasing. Is it a significant problem for you?

I suspect that enhancing the DSP within the existing VM900 modules to accomodate optional oversampling where required would be the best solution. i.e. on a module-by-module basis. For example, there's very little to be gained from having the envelope generator or the 960 sequencer running at higher than 48kHz. So save the oversampling for the important steps in the audio chain, such as oscillators and filters, or anywhere that distortion is introduced, such as the CP3 mixer.

Although the Arturia Modular V sounds great, and looks very good, I find their 'semi-fixed' approach to be an unweildy waste of screen real estate. Much better to be able to pull in modules to cabinets as required, and hide them away in the library when not in use. Some of my patches need 3 or 4 960 sequencers, where others might require two Bode Frequency Shifters. The semi-static configuration of Modular V doesn't accomodate either of those scenarios, and it's incredibly frustrating to me. Or should I say, it WAS frustrating, as I now use VM900 exclusively for Moogular mayhem, and it's a total joy!

TL;DR: In this case, I disagree. But it's just one user's opinion. If CA/MRB think the idea's got legs, then full-steam-ahead!
Of course enhancing oversampling in VM 900 oscillators and filters always will be welcomed (if that thing is possible to do on a per module basis).

But bearing in mind things like the wonderful Moog's Model 15 IOS app I have on my Ipad I think a Cherry Audio's take on some Moog modular unit as a vsti and standalone instruments should be very nice.

Moog's own Model 15 app is in itself a basic modular synthesizer (as the educational orientated original hardware was), but it's fairly simple approach and it's stunning analog modeling turns it into a very addictive and playable instrument.

In terms of pure modeling of that iconic Moog modular sound I find Cherry Audio's VM 900 and Moog's Model 15 app the best software emulations I've heard.

Maybe going to a full Moog System 55 it's asking too much due to the tremendous complexity of that modular monster.

Anyway I think a vst versión of a System 55, System 33, Model 15 or Model 10 should be an stunning addition to the wonderful collection of existing Cherry Audio's vsti...

Return to “Voltage Modular”