Please, make a moog model 55 vst

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
UrbanCyborg

Re: Please, make a moog model 55 vst

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with polyphonic Moog modules; they just would have been prohibitively costly to do in hardware at the time. After all, while the Mini was a first attempt to bring some of the modular capabilities in at an affordable price, the later poly instruments were just the same thing, done polyphonically. The MemoryMoog was basically just six Minis harnessed together. No reason being modular is a strike against polyphony. If they could have built them cheaply enough at the time, they'd have done it. I suspect that the problem you've been having is that you don't quite see, until you've done it, that a sound created to fill the sonic space in mono might not scale well.
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

I tried really hard to get into Arturia version of the modular. But found it daunting to say the least but i have enjoyed using the VM 900 and the 2500 modules but my fav is the 2500 multi mode filter so far followed closely by the bode filter. Still not got into the Oberheim yet. Don't know much about modular but am happy to learn. I always used synths and vsts before didn't care what made them tick as long as they made a nice noise
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

Please explain this to me. Why would you want such a thing? First of all, Voltage Modular IS a VST plugin that can also run standalone and it's free. You buy VM900 for a ridiculously low price and there ya go. Model 15, 35, 55, I, II, III and anything else you might want. You can also patch any other module in there too, like the VM2500 stuff for example. I don't understand the distinction. I use VM as a plugin on tracks all the time. Making a collection of 900 modules into a plugin would only add limitations to an already wonderful system. If there's something I'm missing here, please tell me.

With regard to oversampling, all the VM900 stuff (as well as anything else I write) is already optimally oversampled where necessary so turning on extra oversampling will do nothing, so save your CPU. It's as good as it can be. No corners were cut.

--mb
rfj

Post by rfj »

MRBarton wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:22 am Please explain this to me. Why would you want such a thing? First of all, Voltage Modular IS a VST plugin that can also run standalone and it's free. You buy VM900 for a ridiculously low price and there ya go. Model 15, 35, 55, I, II, III and anything else you might want. You can also patch any other module in there too, like the VM2500 stuff for example. I don't understand the distinction. I use VM as a plugin on tracks all the time. Making a collection of 900 modules into a plugin would only add limitations to an already wonderful system. If there's something I'm missing here, please tell me.

With regard to oversampling, all the VM900 stuff (as well as anything else I write) is already optimally oversampled where necessary so turning on extra oversampling will do nothing, so save your CPU. It's as good as it can be. No corners were cut.

--mb
Thanks for the explanation.
SynthBaron

Post by SynthBaron »

utdgrant wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:53 pm
rfj wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:38 pm Would be great to have a huge Moog System 55 vst with 4x oversampling based on the terrific VM 900 collection.

Don,t you agree?
I haven't found VM900 to suffer much from aliasing. Is it a significant problem for you?
It has been a huge issue for me. And once you hear it, you can't unhear it. It's bad enough that I've given up hopes of using it to record anything with. Maybe they'll fix it one day? Kind of just wasted money for me at this point.

Not even talking about audio-rate FM patches or anything like that. Just simple osc->mixer->filter->vca ones.

I can hear it AND see it on a spectrum analyzer, so I know it's happening for sure. Straight out of the PCM audio from the standalone app and also the internal 32-bit float recording format.
SynthBaron

Post by SynthBaron »

SynthBaron wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:46 pm
utdgrant wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:53 pm
rfj wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:38 pm Would be great to have a huge Moog System 55 vst with 4x oversampling based on the terrific VM 900 collection.

Don,t you agree?
I haven't found VM900 to suffer much from aliasing. Is it a significant problem for you?
It has been a huge issue for me. And once you hear it, you can't unhear it. It's bad enough that I've given up hopes of using it to record anything with. Maybe they'll fix it one day? Kind of just wasted money for me at this point.

Not even talking about audio-rate FM patches or anything like that. Just simple osc->mixer->filter->vca ones.

I can hear it AND see it on a spectrum analyzer, so I know it's happening for sure. Straight out of the PCM audio from the standalone app and also the internal 32-bit float recording format.
Just to show a simple example of what's happening, here is an audio file and screenshot of a simple patch. Once I start to detune the oscillators in this example, you can REALLY hear the obvious aliasing. I have converted the file to FLAC from the 32-bit float output, but the aliasing is indeed present in the original file...so it's not just a conversion error you're hearing.

signal-2022-11-24-133856_002.jpeg
signal-2022-11-24-133856_002.jpeg (179.74 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

Here is the link to the audio clip (I was unable to upload it here):

http://sndup.net/cy8g
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

SynthBaron wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:48 pm Just to show a simple example of what's happening, here is an audio file and screenshot of a simple patch. Once I start to detune the oscillators in this example, you can REALLY hear the obvious aliasing.
Thanks for creating and uploading the file and screenshot.

I honestly think that you're hearing intermodulation frequencies rather than true alias frequencies. The CP3 mixer is highly regarded FOR its glorious non-linear characteristics, rather than in spite of them. :) The hardware 900 series CP3 module creates intermodulation frequencies just like this, with no digital sampling in sight.

It's impossible to tell what's intermodulation and what's aliasing when you have two oscillators beating against each other, as in this example. Could you repeat the experiment with just one oscillator so that we can isolate the effects of genuine aliasing (against the VM Nyquist frequency of 24kHz)? I'm not saying that VM900 doesn't have aliasing issues, but this experiment is inconclusive to me.

Post by SynthBaron »

utdgrant wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:04 am
SynthBaron wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:48 pm Just to show a simple example of what's happening, here is an audio file and screenshot of a simple patch. Once I start to detune the oscillators in this example, you can REALLY hear the obvious aliasing.
Thanks for creating and uploading the file and screenshot.

I honestly think that you're hearing intermodulation frequencies rather than true alias frequencies. The CP3 mixer is highly regarded FOR its glorious non-linear characteristics, rather than in spite of them. :) The hardware 900 series CP3 module creates intermodulation frequencies just like this, with no digital sampling in sight.

It's impossible to tell what's intermodulation and what's aliasing when you have two oscillators beating against each other, as in this example. Could you repeat the experiment with just one oscillator so that we can isolate the effects of genuine aliasing (against the VM Nyquist frequency of 24kHz)? I'm not saying that VM900 doesn't have aliasing issues, but this experiment is inconclusive to me.
Uhh, I have hardware CP3's, 904a's, and 902's and they do nothing like this (in fact they are quite clean unless you deliberately overdrive them, and even if you do it doesn't sound like aliasing). I also set the levels way below anything that could be considered distortion going through any module in the chain. Not going to post another example, if you don't have the software you can download a free demo version if you don't believe me...lol. This was just one quick obvious example, there are plenty more anyone could come up with.
PoorFellow

Post by PoorFellow »

SynthBaron wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:35 amif you don't have the software you can download a free demo version if you don't believe me...lol. This was just one quick obvious example, there are plenty more anyone could come up with.
I have no stake in this and I haven't got the first clue with respect to the issue. Also I am sure that you do not mean to be rude. But I just think that you should know that utdgrant himself is a Voltage Modular module developer , and both a musician and a synth user himself !
Ref. :
https://store.cherryaudio.com/manufactu ... chnologies
&
http://middletong.com/DomeMusicTechnolo ... index.html
&
http://middletong.com/UnderTheDome/index.html

So there is really no need to doubt neither Grants sincerity nor his level of experience , even if the two of you do not agree or do not entirely see things eye to eye ...
Last edited by PoorFellow on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Don't bother me ! :!:
SynthBaron

Post by SynthBaron »

PoorFellow wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:41 pm
SynthBaron wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:35 amif you don't have the software you can download a free demo version if you don't believe me...lol. This was just one quick obvious example, there are plenty more anyone could come up with.
I have no stake in this and I haven't got the first clue with respect to the issue. Also I am sure that you do not mean to be rude. But I just think that you should know that utdgrant himself is a Cherry Audio module developer , and both a musician and a synth user himself !
Ref. :
https://store.cherryaudio.com/manufactu ... chnologies
&
http://middletong.com/DomeMusicTechnolo ... index.html
&
http://middletong.com/UnderTheDome/index.html

So there is really no need to doubt neither Grants sincerity nor his level of experience , even if the two of you do not agree or do not entirely see things eye to eye ...
I went out of my way to post one simple reproducible example of the problem I was experiencing. You accuse me of being rude because of my very direct nature, but I think it's kind of rude to suggest I'm wrong without them trying it out for themselves. I came here to post this because I hope MRB/Cherry Audio is able to fix this glaring defect in an otherwise great product. I have been using soft and hardware synths for over 20 years and know when something isn't working right. :shock:

Return to “Voltage Modular”