Clicking issue (Was: bad loops…)

Dreamsynth is a tribute to the celebrated hybrid analog/digital synthesizers of the mid-to-late 1980s.
mafgar

Clicking issue (Was: bad loops…)

Post by mafgar »

I have the demo and it seems like the synth produces a ton of clicks if you play really fast notes, or sometimes just overlapping notes. It seems like it has something to do with the voices or voice stealing? I love the sound of this synth but it is constantly produces unpleasant zero crossing click sounds.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Bad loops on waveforms and one shots

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

mafgar wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:26 am I have the demo and it seems like the synth produces a ton of clicks if you play really fast notes, or sometimes just overlapping notes. It seems like it has something to do with the voices or voice stealing? I love the sound of this synth but it is constantly produces unpleasant zero crossing click sounds.
Hi,

See my comments above. In order to figure out what’s going on, we’d need specific details.

Greg
mafgar

Re: Bad loops on waveforms and one shots

Post by mafgar »

The behavior I'm experiencing happens regardless of what oscillator sample you're playing. I can make a video later.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Clicking issue (Was: bad loops…)

Hi,

If it’s not a zero-crossing issue with samples, then we’d need more info about your setup. Does it happen with the standalone version of Dreamsynth? Or only plugin? Which plugin format? Windows or Mac? Any preset or only certain ones?

Greg
mafgar

Post by mafgar »

Ok!

I purchased the synth cause I think it's pretty unique and I've done some more testing.

Yes the behavior is the same in standalone, I'm using Windows 10 on Ableton and am a professional sound designer and very rarely have issues w/ clicks/pops or latency. My system is tuned real well at this point.

Some of the samples do not have the click problem, it is definitely a zero crossing issue. That being said even the samples that don't initially have a pop or click when a note is held down or repeated, will have one if you close the filter cutoff even just a little bit. The best way to experience this is to have 1 oscillator playing, and scroll through the synthwave PCMs and just hold down a note. You can tell they are zero crossing pops because the rhythm of the pops changes as you go up and down on the keyboard, ie the sample is being played back faster/slower etc. I'm sure yall know this. The filter thing is weird though.

Go to Brass PCMs and choose any of them and play repeated 1/16th notes (my Push 2 does this really easily and I use it alot) and start to close the filter w/ no filter envelope or resonance or anything and you'll hear lots of pops and clicks regardless of the fact the highs are being filtered.\

Also the envelope settings don't totally affect this behavior on my end, it certainly makes it BETTER but every once and awhile I can still hear a pop in there when lots of voices are playing/I'm switching big long chords. Like if the PCM has a zero crossing issue it doesnt matter what the envelope is doing.

Hope this helps!! Thanks again, love the synth and feel like there is an easy fix here. I see others on KVR talking about it as well.
dwise

Post by dwise »

I have the demo version.

Clicks:

If using the Sync 3>1 on OSC 1 while using the 'analogue' waveforms - this then adds a very noticeable clicking and noise to OSC 3 in sync with the lfo
Is this a feature?
Am I doing something wrong?
There was something very similar on the memorymode.

These are different clicks from the character of the looped samples.

Another thing that doesn't help is that a lot of the waveforms are very hot.
Is there a (virtual) saturation circuit between the waveforms and the filter?
If so:It would be nice if the user could dial this down.
Turning down the osc volume doesn't solve the issue, it just makes it quieter.
Might be how the samples are rendered.

As for the filter:
That sounds wonderful.
It would be great if there could be a 24db version in an update.

Windows 10 and Nuendo 11 with VST3 version here.
Same artefacts in Standalone.

I'm sure this beast will sound amazing soon, but sadly for now, I'm finding those clicks a deal breaker.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

If you identify any specific loops with zero crossing problems, let us know which ones. We'll have an update that fixes a few of these soon.

Greg
mafgar

Post by mafgar »

The clicks that happen when you close the filter I think are a bigger problem, there shouldn't be any high frequency material if the low pass is closed lol. This is with 0 modulation and changes depending on the pcm.. which makes even less sense?
soulstar

Post by soulstar »

I am also experiencing pops and clicks separate to the loops and samples.
Just using a saw wave monophonic with soft attacks and release envelopes, seems to get worse when I turn
up the velocity sensitivity. Holding a note produces no clicks so I reckon it's the envelopes.

Mac Pro Late 2013
MacOS 11.6.4
Logic Pro 10.7.2
Dreamsynth 1.0.7 Build 123
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

We just released build 128, which should download automatically if you allow it. It addresses the following waveform issues (among other things):

The waveforms "Atonal 3" and "Atonal 6", "FM Bass 1", "Additive 1", "Addition 2", and "Bottle 3" have improved loop points for smoother looping. One-shot sample "Bro Kick" has been improved as well. Tuning of "Shaku" sample has been fixed.

Greg

Return to “Dreamsynth”